litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Gear Stick Spring

neilcawood@hotmail.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit the S1 gear change is not the best in the world. Mine feels slightly sprung but there is no way it springs back to any kind of central position. Ive added a short shifter and uprated gear linkage which has improved it a lot. It,s a thing you have to get used to. The major problem is the fact it is a cable change IMO :D

Have a look at the cable-linkage under the rear tray. There is a bell housing bracket which if the bolts are tightened slightly too much restricts the free movement of the gear stick and so it won't self centre.

Whilst you're under there you might as well fit a gear linkage kit (or cheaper, just the nylatron bushes) and improve the whole gear change experience.

Eliseparts has some pictures on their site with the linkage kit.

I've fitted both the Eliseparts quickshift and gear linkage kits and the quickshift in particular does improve things a lot. However I still don't have a gear lever that self-centres and I spent quite a bit of time setting the tightness of the pivot bolts so that they wern't too tight but didn't have excessive play.

I would agree that the nylatron bushes are the best bit off the linkage kit. I don't think the rest adds much (unless yours is excessively worn).

I do know people who's gear lever does self-centre but can't really work out why.

It would have been much better if the linkage was rods not cables.

I fitted the Eliseparts shortshifter - didn't help it self-centre, but then the Edwards fitted their nylon (perhaps nylatron, but not sure) bushes and now it does.

Sonya's getting hers done next service.

See lotuspower.co.uk for contact info

I must admit there is a chance ive slightly overtightened the pivot bolt, as mine has some spring but does not completely self center. I dont find it a problem but i may slacken it a bit next time im underneath.

Archived