litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Which Insurance Company?

buckerz69

Hi people, this is my first post on this forum and I could really do with some advice...

I am literally on the brink of buyinging a 1982 Turbo Esprit which I will hopefully purchase this week. I have worked hard to save the money for this car and know it is the one I want.

However, I am only 20 years old and need some advise on how to get get the car insured and who with?? I am aware that certain insurance companies offer classic car insurance with limited mileage and you can get discounts if you're part of a lotus club can't you?

I don't mind being a named driver and earlier got a quote of £1630, third party fire and theft, using "A Quote" as a named driver under my parents name, but I want to know of anywhere that might do it cheaper??

Any help that anyone can give me would be great and I'd be very appreciative!!

P.S. very nice website and easy to use!Thanks again. Nik

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to MLOC,

the last two years i have gone with the cheapest quote i could get, and they were with Tesco last year and this year with Adrian Flux. Your best bet is to ring everyone.

And sometimes 3PF&T is more expensive than Fully comp, so get some comparables.

If it took that long and that much graft to buy the car, are you just going to go for tpft insurance? I nearly did this when i bought my Elise at 21 but my mate is the MD for a car body shop and warned me otherwise because he has seen it all end in tears quite a few times over the years. I ended up getting fully comp insurance and i think a lot of other MLOC members would agree its better to be safe than sorry with your hard earned pride and joy.

Cheapest for me is tesco insurance. A lot of insurance companies that come highly recommended and offer track day cover etc usually won't insure under 25's. You might be lucky and (hopefully)find somewhere that will cover you at a price you can get on with. Get used to hearing the phrase 'Sorry sir, we won't cover you on that car', I've heard it hundreds of times on the net and over the phone.

Hope it works out for insurance and buying the car you're after. :vampire:

Hi - welcome to MLOC! :vampire:

I really think you should go fully comp and definately protect your no claims bonus (if you have any?!!). I insure mine through Esteem insurance who give you a 10% discount for being a member of the official lotus owners club international. It costs £35 a yr and could pay for itself many times over. Details on Lotus website. I think Adrian Flux give 10% off for members of South East LOC. Check on their website how much they cost to join

Good luck mate - looking forwards to seeing pics of your new car!

Rich

wow quite alot of response in such a short time!!I really am impressed with this site! Thanks to everyone for their input!

Admiral are part of elephant (and diamond for that matter) and all of which have turned me down so far!As have Tescos, Sainsburys, and a few other online insurance companies! However they sometimes say different when you actually ring them up so I'll have to wait until the morning.

By the way Adrian Flux turned me down before with a supra I had because I was under 21 and every driver on the policy (even if it's not the main driver) has to be over 21.

And yes I have 3 year's no claims bonus which should hopefully help to lower the premium!

I am determined to buy this car though so will keep ringing around tommorow to try and get a half decent quote and you people will be the first to see my new pride and joy if I get it (fingers crossed!).

Thanks again to everyone with their input and I am very appreciative. Nik

Not anymore they wont as I got rid of that offer as they kept refusing to give the discount to people saying they had already applied it when they blatently hadnt. Free advertising for nothing so I stopped it.

Works if you say your a member of Seloc I believe though :)

Adrian Flux just asked me if i was a member of a car club, i said yes, so they gave me a discount. They told me they wanted proof so i sent them a copy of my old MX5OC card (had no exp. date on it). They weren't happy with that and sent me a letter saying I had to be part of a lotus club. So I printed off the MLOC card sent them that and they were as happy as pigs in sh1t. (Well, they didn't send me any more letters!)

I am literally on the brink of buyinging a 1982 Turbo Esprit which I will hopefully purchase this week. I have worked hard to save the money for this car and know it is the one I want.

However, I am only 20 years old and need some advise on how to get get the car insured and who with?? I am aware that certain insurance companies offer classic car insurance with limited mileage and you can get discounts if you're part of a lotus club can't you?

I don't mind being a named driver and earlier got a quote of £1630, third party fire and theft, using "A Quote" as a named driver under my parents name, but I want to know of anywhere that might do it cheaper??

Any help that anyone can give me would be great and I'd be very appreciative!!

P.S. very nice website and easy to use!Thanks again. Nik

Niki,

Firstly, welcome to MLOC - as you've already found out we're a friendly bunch with an opinion on just about anything !

Secondly, without wanting to piss on your bonfire, if you've saved that hard and are (only) 20, buying a Turbo Esprit, can you afford to :

a Insure it FC (wouldn't bother with anything else)

b Maintain it (older Lotus have the acronym Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious for good reason) and

c What experience do you have of highly powered rear-wheel drive cars? If it's not very much, then definitely get FC insurance WHATEVER the costs !

Club membership usually only gets 10-15% - you can often haggle that much anyway by phoning around.

If all these things are affordable, then go for it ! You won't regret it. If, however, the thought of £100s every year on maintenance, fuel, etc, then well over £1000 for insurance is not affordable, then that's something different.....

Hope it works out OK :P

Chris

Archived