litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

How Big A Bash Should Be Worrying Me?

Troisieme

Just had a chat with a fella (dealer, but not a lotus garage) regarding a rather nice looking aqua S2 up Bradford way. It's a bit of a trip, so for the sake of making it worthwhile for both of us I thought it best to ask regards the car's history.

Couple of owners, not many miles for its year, (51 reg). Mechanically sound - so I'm told! - and FLSH.

But... has been involved in a low speed bump, causing a bit of a scuff on the near side rear wheel arch, and a crack approx 1/4 inch in length.

Now as I mentioned the other day, I'm no mechanic. Does this seem like a reasonable cause for the crack? And is it something that's likely to either a) get worse over time or :( suggest that there may be other problems lurking beneath?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's recent, the crack could continue growing, but it doesn't sound serious.

Some cracks don't even appear for months (speaks from experience !)

If it's that small a crack, it's virtually impossible for there to be anything seriously wrong underneath.

I dont really understand why a dealer would sell a car with a small minor crack in a clam :(

Surely it would be better for them to get a small repair done ( £200-£400 ) and sell the car as perfect at a higher price.

Thats of course if its a minor ding :lol:

Sounds a little suspect :( Personally unless you are in a big rush, i would wait for a " known " car to come up for sale on either MLOC or SELOC. You will get a car with all the history etc :) Also i would not buy an Elise without getting it checked over first by someone you can trust ( Mike at Horizon ? ) if the car is ok the seller will have no objections, i would have thought. If you update your profile for your location, im sure you will get some more help on here ;)

Archived