litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Doors Won't Stay Open

AL G

My doors won't stay open, which makes it near impossible to get in and out of the car. I've heard the door springs were rubbish on early S1's (mine's a late 97), and that you have to get at the spring via the wheel arch ???

Has anyone tackled this, or is this one for a pro (independant of course) . .

I'm no mechanic by any means, but would rather have a go myself - I can't find the springs either (have tried Eliseparts and SJ Sportscars) . .

Cheers,

Alasdair

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My drivers side door spring went a couple of months ago, can't be arsed to take to a dealer at the moment so would be interested if anyone knows how to DIY. The part number for the springs are: C111B0174F (part 14 in attached picky)

post-498-1112880012.jpg

F**KING hell thats it!!!!!!!!!!! :D:blush:

That spring is what i found inside the clam under the hinge when i opened my door one day. Its sheared off right across the line of the bolt holes and the drivers door no longer stays open by itself. Now i've seen that pic i know what it is. :)

I've asked a few people track days what it was but they just scratched thier heads as much as i did. The sheared off piece has been sat in the boot for about a year now!

Cheers, Russ

Thanks for the part details, i'll order one when I'm back onto SJS tomorrow. Has anyone done a DIY ?

Cheers Again,

That's it - broken spring plate. Clam off I was told, so didn't bother. Park facing downhill if you can, or with passenger side on the kerb.

Archived