litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Gear Linkage Improvement (nylatron Bushes)

Steve J

Following on from discussions on the Donnington thread.....

Looks like we may have a couple of MLOC guys (Nick Gee and Martin R) that can make nylatron bushes for the gear linkage.

It's been said that the Eliseparts linkage upgrade kit is good but the only real benefit comes from replacing the standard rubber bushes with harder nylatron ones.

So what does everyone reckon if we can get some made, would you be interested?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:tdown:

Me too. Got the short shifter on mine, but wasn't convinced gear linkages needed doing too. The (gear)box on mine is really tight, but would like to see what effect new bushes has.

Guess we'll likely be doing a double order too!

Count me in. I did linkage and quickshifter at the same time on my s160 so didn't know what the individual contribution was. Fairly convinced that the linkage ie bushes were the biggest effect.

As it happens ive recently bought and changed my S1 gear linkage for the eliseparts one and its a vast improvment. Im in agreement that its the bushes and not the linkage that is the reason for the improvment. If Nick can source the Nylatron bar, i can get the machining done. Now, if its only a few sets, i can get it done at work for free ( i work in an engineering firm ) If it turns into a largish demand i have a couple of friends who have an independent toolroom who will do it at the right price. I cant take the piss at work as you can understand. It depends if Nick can get the Nylatron at the right price really ? If anyone buys the eliseparts kit in the near future and lets me get a few measurements, we may be in buisness.

Im not going to crawl under the beast and take mine off again to measure them.

:clap:

Sounds like lesstatt & jestor both have some Nylatron bushes that could be measured. Do either of you have access to a micrometer or other such precision measuring device, so that accurate measurements can be passed on to those fabricating replicas?

maybe organise some kind of group buy on the quick shifter at the same time for those who havent got it?

May as well kill two birds etc. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

(too many animals)

Archived