litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Decent Repair Place In Leics

Daniel

Uhmm, errr, ahem, gulp .... I had a slight mishap in the car and need to get it sent off for repairs. Looks like passenger sill, door, rear clam, and a back wheel that turns left/right just like my front ones, cool. Not.

Any recommendation on where to send it? I've heard Hallcraft are pretty good, but is there anywhere else that people recommend?

Thanks,

Doofus

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just don't take it to Harlequins, who Storm use in Leic's!

Graeme had some stuff done at a place called Tallis's in Hinckley, who seemed to do a good job of respraying and repairing his front clam.

I'm taking mine to Paul's Motor Body Repairs in Barwell who do work for Noble and Ultima.

Then there's City Centre Car Repairs (I think) Who Nick Whales use.

Hard luck Daniel, at least you're well enough to write your tale of woe!

Due to the extent of the damage, it's looking like an insurance job, so liaise with your insurance assessor. When someone drove into me, I tried to influence the assessor but he had his favourites and so the car went to City Centre Car Care Centre which is just down the hill from where Nick Whale used to be in the centre of Brum. Never experienced Hallcrat personally but others speak well of them, but money no object, use CCCCC. If you'd intended paying for it yourself, I'd agree with Ladders and say C J Tallis in Hinckley.

One word of warning - if you say you don't need a hire car, you go to the back of EVERY queue as the "meter's not running" for the insurer.

Graeme had some stuff done at a place called Tallis's in Hinckley, who seemed to do a good job of respraying and repairing his front clam.

I'm taking mine to Paul's Motor Body Repairs in Barwell who do work for Noble and Ultima.

Harlequin repaired ours ok - was 3rd party's fault so i was quite happy for harlequin to fit a new clam insted of repairing what was very minor damage.

Yeah, Greg should know what happened :)

Graeme cheers for the advice. My poorly car is sitting in the garage here at home now. Insurance co phoned me and will be sending an assesor over on Thursday. I asked them about where to send it and they said I can pretty much send it anywhere decent, although I may not qualify for a hirecar then. I actually said at the time that it'd be fine as it's a 2nd car anyhow. After your advice though I'll try and see what i can do, I don't want it off the road for months.

I'm not sure what to do, I mean I wouldn't mind trying to get a new set of S2 suspension out of it at the same time? I rekon the damper will be screwed pretty much. Oh well, see what the nice man says on thursday.

Reading between the threads, "Mum" knows best...

Mine went to CCCCC in Brum and when the moment came I asked if they would fit a Janspeed sports exhaust in lieu of the standard one as they were the same price. Since they source all their Lotus bits from NW and no cost penalty to themselves, they were happy to oblige.

Think you'll find the S2 stuff is the same price as original Koni suspension, so you could play the same trick. You won't be able to specify ride heights, although give them some geo settings and that's what they'll give you. Use the Steve B settings: front camber 1 deg

neg, front toe OUT 15 minutes total, rear camber 2 deg neg, but I suggest rear toe IN 1.5 deg total instead of Steve's recommended 2 deg IN).

Harlequin repaired ours ok - was 3rd party's fault so i was quite happy for harlequin to fit a new clam insted of repairing what was very minor damage.

Ruxpin - you have U2U!

The insurance bloke has just been. Trying his best to send it to ATB or ATS??? Anyhow I really pushed for Nick Whale/CCCCC and Hallcraft. Apparently they'll give me a ring soon (This week?) and take it from there. He was quite a nice mellow guy, didn't ask any questions etc. But only took 5 mins, took down the mileage and chassis number, looked at the damage and left it at that.

Scott, I'll reply to your U2U in a bit.

Cheers,

Archived