litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Buying Advice Please

sibbo

Hi all,

As a typical newbie I'd be glad of any advice you can give me on my potential car purchase. (This info may be available elsewhere but I couldn't find it, please point me there if it's already sitting somewhere!)

I have 15-17k to spend on a new toy and have always loved the idea of an elise. However, I'd hate to spend my hard saved cash on a car that will be unreliable or hard work to maintain. I don't intend to use it on the track, just get me to and from work. Where should I go to look, test & buy? What should I expect to get? I've read Parkers, Top Gear etc but now need some real info!

Not wishing to offend anyone, the Elise pretender comes with an airbag... can that be enough to even begin to move me in that direction?

Anyone know the contact details for the Warwickshire or South Wales meet? Would be good to talk with someone

Thanks for your help - really appreciated!

Sibbo

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all,

However, I'd hate to spend my hard saved cash on a car that will be unreliable or hard work to maintain. I don't intend to use it on the track, just get me to and from work. Where should I go to look, test & buy? What should I expect to get? I've read Parkers, Top Gear etc but now need some real info!

Sibbo

Hi Sibbo,

Hope you get one ! Honestly, there are no real issues with the Elise re reliability or maintenance. Yes, some suffer head gasket failure, but so do all brands with K-series engines (rover, land rover, MGF, etc)

Maintenance - they're pretty easy, albeit with a few Lotus quirks. Several independant garages out there that don't charge Lotus rates for servicing.

Regarding commuting - an S1 is usable but an S2 is better (the only "better" I'll give to the S2 folks...). The hood on the S2 is far better if you're taking it on and off regularly. Other than that, it's down to preference, and the S1 is a far better design shape (flame suit on).

Airbags ? You could go for a later S2 or Exige - both have the Toyota engine as they're USA ready (ie low emissions, airbags and ABS). S1 and early S2 ( I think) don't have either. The VX220 does though.....

If you've been on SELOC, there's some photos of an S2 that got trashed on a motorway recently, and both people walked away (no airbags, etc).

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid...age=1#pid607704 (4 pages, but worth reading if you want convincing)

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid...age=1#pid619567

http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=43205

Hope this helps,

Chris

the elise is a toy and not a car if that makes sense and whilst they are reliable and cheap on maintenance other issues like build quality might start to annoy you.

You realy have to be an enthusiast to go for a noisy, fiddy S1 whilst the S2 is a little more geared towards an everyday car. the vx prob. takes it that step further.

I'd say to anyone who's 'not sure' if they want an elise to get a vx220 instead.

HTH

Heres a good resource

http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/index.php

Jon

Wise words, Jon. As it happens, I spent Saturday with a load of VX owners on the Plans Motorsport day at Dunsfold (the Top Gear track).

Spoke to several who talked about VX as "better value" rather than being passionate about a racing heritage or the last word in performance or feel. One or two were definitely swayed by the Airbag & ABS (although the ABS cuts in so early and so late to release that many have disconnected it!).

Think I "get" the VX thing now. You march up to your Vauxhall showroom and nestling amonst the Vectras & Corsas there's this sexy little sports car and you're hooked. As an ownership proposition, they've tried to make an Elise-type car as much like Vectra ownership as they can, but with somewhat more life to it. Mechanics & service dept trained to high standard by a main dealer programme. Alternatively, a lot of the Lotus dealerships are more independent and eclectic in their standards.

For some only a Lotus will do. Others want a nice car.

Suggest you try a VX before you decide, Sibbo. You'll get more car for your money than something with a Lotus badge, both new or used.

I use my 99 S1 111s everyday, all weathers, its fine, I love it, but somedays one doesn't love it so much, but as soon as the skys are clear, the roof is off and the roads are dry the love affair comes flooding back! I 'wanted' a Lotus, but did look briefly at the VX as an alternative, although I found the step across width uncomfortable, although I believe the S2 is better than my S1 for this as well.

As for you don't want to take it on track, I was very like this before ownership, however I strongly recommend you do 1 track day, because its the most fun I have ever had!!!!!!!!!!!! (in a car) jokes please....

Hi Sibbo

If you want an easy low maintenance car go for the Vauxhall :(

But if you want to be tinkering away in the garage and getting to know your car when you’re not driving it and also have a passion for the Lotus mark, get an S1 :clap:

If you just have a passion for the Lotus mark and don’t want to tinker but have the option to, get an S2 :D

Remember a Lotus should keep it’s value better too ;)

But they all are great cars

But with that budget of 17k you could look at getting an Esprit S4 if your lucky or even an S1 Exige :clap:

Disco

P.S. I’m one of the “For some only a Lotus will do” :blush:

Archived