litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Prices Getting Lower

tazbaz69

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not just limited to the elise - its any car at the moment. The famed boxster has also taken a battering and so have many other drop tops and particularly premium cars

I dont know..... I think the S1 is holding up pretty well! I paid £11k for mine just over a year ago, and for it to be worth at least £10k still is pretty good! I think the reason the S2 is going so cheap is because theres so many more of them. Lotus only ever made around 10,000 s1's iirc and judging by the amount of Cat Ds i dare say the actual number is way lower than that now!!! Just look at the Elan prices! Dont think the price will go under £7.5k for a good straight one for 4 or 5 years yet.

S1's are classics!!! Not like the pesky, common as muck, S2!!! :P

Although i may be wrong!

Matty,

Which is why (also) I bit the bullet and moved out of the S1's.

S2's (sadly) are (gay) and cheap as chips now.

Where is the residual, and once you have had one, where next ?

Love Lotus, always will, but think about the car that just ended production (Esprit) prices went silly.

From Elise to Exige, but where do the Exige boys(and girls) go next.

From my old Tivver, I have a route out to al sorts of "performance" TVR's, or elsewhere.

Sorry but std S1's are now coming to cannon fodder ... bloody shame !

Just looked at the fourth one down. I think that is somewhat of a dud!!

My knowledge isn't immense but im 99% certain, no S2's were built on a X Reg, the first one's were on Y's.

Unless its a very late registered motor. Thus giving it a lower price.

Also noticed that S.T.'s are about 2k cheaper than other S2's. Probably due to insurance, and popularity.

Did you buy your car as an investment or as one of the best drivers cars in the world to enjoy!

If you hang on long enough I'm sure prices will stop and even climb. After all they will always be a classic car.

Did you buy your car as an investment or as one of the best drivers cars in the world to enjoy!

If you hang on long enough I'm sure prices will stop and even climb.  After all they will always be a classic car.

Absolutely! I bought my S1 because

a ) it's an awesome car to drive

b ) it's an awesome car to look at

c ) I always wanted a Lotus

d ) it had already had all the necessary upgrades etc done to it

I fully intend to keep it forever and perhaps one day it will reach classic car status and the value will begin to increase again. I dare say that I will buy other cars in addition to the Elise (maybe a new model Lotus), but I'm not going to get rid of the S1 Elise if I can possibly help it.

I'd love to have a small collection of Lotus one day, from vintage through to modern :P

Greyknight, hear bloody hear :D If my S1 suddenly was worth more than i paid for it, it would make no difference. Im keeping it till

1) I destroy it

2) Im too old to be poured in it anymore.

:drive:

but seriously..higher mileage S2's are going for the same price and even cheaper than lower mileage S1's but people are still buying S1's.

Its not a dying market by a long shot tho the 111R has pushed down base S2 models by a good margin. S1's may have taken the hit but not by a lot.

Top whack 111s and 160's are still fetchin 15k. Not bad considering i only paid 16.5k for my top whack 111s 2 1/2 years ago. You'd lose a lot more on other marques guaranteed.

There are no more S1's being produced (statement of the bleedin obvious) yet the supply of S2's is still open ended. The S1 & S2 represent different things. S2 is better in many ways - build quality & reliability, civility but is heavier, more sanitised in its handling.

So if you want a GOOD S1 you've got to pay for it as so many have been well used (enjoyed) by now. If anything, there is too much selection of well used S2's around the £14-16K mark now, which is why a good S1 will fetch more now.

Just look at the E-type now: the most prized are the ones most faithful to the original concept - the S1 3.8's SWB, before it got heavier and less agile.

Archived