litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Max Power Or Not?

Jonathan E

I've been looking at the fins on my car and to be honest I've never really been a fan of them,They go grey overnight regardless of how much back to black and assorted compounds I use(GJOB I know) and I really like the grill type mesh as on my old S1,plus the mesh was much easier to keep clean.

The new Exige has mesh grills and I know without doubt(because I'm sad enough to have measured them)that the Exige grills will fit my car(111r remember).

Now as some of you know, over the years I've built up a few contacts inside the hallowed grounds of Hethel and after some weeks of asking, even my most reliable contacts :pile: I'm getting nothing back to my question of "can I buy some Exige grills for my 111r"

Now I suspect the reasoning behind this is that they want to keep the Exige different to the Elise and one detail that stands out is the grills.Now, how an Elise could ever look like an Exige is beyond me,but thats just my theory.

I know Tigga on SELOC has changed his fins for grills at a ridiculous cost due to him wanting to market them and it not being a viable option,but after having looked very closely at my car over the weekend I think I might be able to construct grills for it at a relatively low cost.

So thats the question,am I getting sucked into Max Power teritory or does this appeal to others???

I am NOT trying to start an S1 vs S2 debate I just prefer the grills.

Opinions from my fellow MLOC cyber friends will cast the vote as to yes or no.

Thanks

Regards

Jon

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the day Jon..its an S2 so at best its only going to look average whatever you do due to the shape of the thing :pile:

But all the same....If you can mimick what Tiggas done at cheap cost then why not.

Nothing ventured...nothing gained and all...

you can just take them off again.

A-Ha....Seems most so far prefer the grills,only problem is that if I can make the fins into grills I will have to use the fin thingies to hold the grill stuff(Technical or what)So as to selling if I don't like them I think that will be a no-no.I think what its called in the trade is Sh!t or bust,could end up having to buy new fins for the car :bleh:

I didn't realise until Sunday how different they are on the 111r compared to other S2's.

Keep the comments coming much apprieciated.

Regards

Jon

ps.what is it with you S1 boys that you have to make a comment about how good the S1 looks over the S2.... makes me LOL

But the plastic grills are designed to give extra downforce (just like the Exige rear wing) :bleh:

Have to agree they look cheap and crap. Asked NW if I could replace them with the mesh, they said that they were not compatible as they are different sizes and are attached differently.

Ben,

Yep crap aren't they.The issue was raised with Tigga recently on SELOC and he asked for people to contact him directly so he could gauge opinion and the amount he would need,This was about 4 weeks back and I've asked since but nothing has been forthcoming,so I'm taking it that Tigga won't be doing the grills in the near future if at all.

I was at the factory when the first 135r's were being built and asked about the painted grills,I was told that they had all sorts of problems getting the paint to key properly and that the fins on the 135r have a smoother finish,could all be complete rubbish.

Steve,

I'll have to get an Exige spoiler then aswell :bleh:

NW are right in a way,they are fixed on in a different way,nothing that couldn't be sorted though.However the fins on the bonnet of the S2 are totally different to the 111r and Exige in that they are bonded to the inspection panel so when you remove the panel the fins are still attached whereas on the 111r and Exige the grills are bolted to the crash structure and remain in place when the panels are removed,if you see what I mean?

Just waiting for the Max Power shop to deliver my first(test)piece of mesh.

I'll keep you all informed,

Regards

Jon

Archived