litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tyre Sizes For S1

Sol

Well, its time to get my new boots and Im a bit confused about tyre choice. Got an S1, standard suspension and all that, running with PZeros (Zero being the approx amount of tread in mm all round ;) ). Ive got 185 on the front and 205 on the back.

Going to Horizon to get it all done and Wendy asked me which set I wanted.

Either:

a. 185/55/15(front) + 205/50/16 (rear)

b. 195/50/15(front) + 225/45/16(rear)

I understand its (width/series/rim diameter) , but whats the middle number mean?

Anyone here got any info on the options above? My main concern is fit on opt b- I think it should fit, but am not sure- anyone here got this combo? Dont really want any rubbing of wheel arches, but then my ride height is standard.

Spoke with Andy Walsh and asked about the pros and cons. Basically, he said that the larger tyres will give better stopping distances :tup:, but not so good in the wet(dont understand why, but :) anyhow) Any thoughts on choice and why?

Help!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Option b is the way to go, should have no problems with the tyres rubbing especially at standard ride heights, most of this forum run those tyre sizes now.

The benefits of having the larger tyres will far outweigh any problems in the wet, I guess because they are wider they dont cut through the water as well and thats what Andy is on about.

http://www.elise-faq.info/content/tyres/index.php

Cheers guys! Exactly what I needed! 195+225 it is then..

And youre probably right, stopping quicker is something I have realised is of HUGE importance recently. Some people should be taken off the road and stoned to death for their ineptitude. IMHO (ofcourse)

Yup, go woth the 195/225 combo... i have and its a great improvement.

T1-R i hope?

The reason a wider tyre is less effective in the wet is the width of the tyre makes it harder to cut into the water and clear it properly, aquaplaning a go-go - large footprint, sits on top of water, rather than through it and onto tarmac. That said the wider T1-R's are a lot better than the narrower T1-S in my limited experience.

Nope, Ladders, definitely getting T1-Rs! In my experience of p-zeros in the wet(especially last friday at the activity day where they were down to almost zero tread anyway), I hope to never have the misfortune of p-zeros again. The high speed bend was just ridiculous. I 'aimed' the car there(points 15degrees left) and they went there(points to to horizon. ahead).

And yep, Scott, that makes sense. Like Andy said after pointing out the downside of the wider tyres- "either way they will piss over the pzeros in the wet"(well something like that)

Sol

You can get Yokohama Advans for £399 from BuyaTyre. There's a useful saving with Toyos, without doubt, but they're only second best.

I'm on 195F/225R Advans with ride heights of 110/120mm and still no rubbing.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme, thats a good point. At that price, it makes it a more level field and from what I have read/heard about the advans compared to Toyos(the T1-S anyway), a couple of trackdays would make the saving questionable. Hmmmm, just when you thought it was easy! :) Will give them a call in the morning and see what they have to offer..

Well, cant get through to Buy a tyre, but I have tried Eliseparts(who are close by to me).

They sell a full set of "Yokohama Advan Neova Tyres" for 350+vat and are offering 5% discount on all orders over £100, which makes it just under £400.

I asked whether they were the "LTS" ones and he seems to think so. So the question is, are there Advan Neovas that are non-LTS and how would I tell- I assume they say so on the side of the tyre? Just wary about getting the wrong tyres..

Also, just read on an elises.co.uk article that (referring to the yoko advans 225s-"Standard cars with 205 tyres will need to fit rear wheel arch spats to stay road legal". Is this the case? Have you guys had to do the same? :clap: x 2

Sol, I would be interested in getting a set with you if anywhere will do a discout on two sets and perhaps save on delivery etc!

I think strictly speaking you do need the rear spats (got them on my 111s) but who's really going to know!

Archived