litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tyre Sizes For S1

Sol

Prices on 1 set:

Buyatyre- £400 inc vat (with delivery or fitting if you go to a bookatrack event)

Nick Whale- £425 inc vat (with fitting)

Eliseparts - £391 inc vat(no delivery tho+not all in stock immediately)

Will make some calls and see if there is a group discount to be had..

On the spats, apparently they are expensive if you dont have them and most dont bother..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm pretty sure it was from Mytyres, however i have just checked on there and they do not seem to have any in stock at the moment, black circles do but the total price comes to £294.06 (f=39.80 each r=107.23 each)

i'm off to dig deeper, i'll be gutted if i have missed that price.

Nick Whale will do that price anyway - if you push hard.

Out on a limb here... i've never driven a car hard with Advans on in anger, but I will honestly be amazed if they are better than T1-R. After the Brunty trackday my tyres were looking in a far better state than the Advan runners were, from reports from other folk, namely Rob Clarke who's judgement i trust, on a dry road (this is T1-S comparison btw) the Advans will hold on longer, but when they let go, they really do... the Toyo's are far more progressive, in the wet the Toyo's are better, cutting through far better and offering more grip but again more progressive. Based on the comments that he made and my own findings with T1-S and T1-R comparions, i shall be very surprised if the Advan is better... I must try them next to see, but I wouldn't jump straight on the bandwagon of assuming Advans are better

Plus on a trackday, i had a huuuuuuuge amount of fun with mine, i was doing 10 - 12 laps of brunty and toward the end rather than the tyre going off completely and disappearing on me like the T1-S, they became more fun, nice and warm, nice and slidey - the top S-Bend by the 747 (you passed it before heading onto the long straight on the parade lap) was soooo much fun, Dobbo, Simon111S and SimonG all came out in my car and i hope they will testify to that.

At the end of the day based on what i can see there isn't going to be a lot between them, but Advans are sharper at the limit and Toyo are more progressive. Personally i prefer a bit of cushion at the limit to let me know i'm there. Quickest and easiest way for me is going to have to be a Walshy day or similar and try out someone's car with Advans. At the end of the day though Toyo's are £100 cheaper :clap:

Solo, I was looking at just getting the tyres to fit later. I'm doing a walshy dat next month and want to kill the old tyres then before my MoT.

What do you think about the Toyo's though?

They have had good ratings (not just from Scott)!

i'm with scott on this one, i think i'm gonna get some toyos, that £100 does make quite a big difference in my book.

Also i have just spoken directly to Toyo to see if we can get a group discount on their tyres, i am just awaiting a call back to discuss numbers. Is anyone else interested in a set of Toyos?

Scott, this seems to be the problem,. I have read a multitude of comments about Toyos/Advans from Seloc. All of these are based on the T1-S. The T1-R being so new hasnt been through a proper unbiased testing from the guys who would really know and push to the limits(ie Walsh, et al)

It would be difficult to judge a worn out tyre against a new set as immediately there is an improvement based on tread levels, right? (if my elise had 4 'space saver' tyres on right now, they would grip better than my baldy p0s :) )As I understand, the T1-S were crap on trackdays because of the compound. So, if the T1-R is a different rubber compound, this would be a plus for it. Anyone know this- or am I on completely the wrong track.

I rarely drive my Elise to the limit where I would notice the progressiveness-though bet I would when I most needed it(!). Its a difficult one.

Its a balance- £100 for 1 foot of braking distance is worth it considering the cost of the clam and secondarily, my life :clap: , but like everyone else, I want to know which one is better. Possibly the only person that can answer this is the sweet lord..c'mon, anytime now, some divine intervention..

For me, it is much easier to get the T1-Rs(and cheaper). While Im not the sort to squander stupid cash on the latest 'greatest thing', tyres and brakes should never be a compromise imho.

Basically, Im no closer to choosing, and as always, opinions are appreciated. Theres a coin in my pocket and I might need it soon..

Ian, I might be!! Dont know yet. Wonder if they know any technical reason why the T1-R might stand up better that the T1-S when pushed(ie a track). Is it just a dirrerent tread pattern?

Also, did I read that the T1-S walls behaved a bit oddly? Scott, is this the same with the T1-R?

T1-R are improved grip rating over T1-S, much stiffer sidewall than S and with regard to braking distances, Walshy managed to stop my car on T1-S better than a similar car on Advans at North Weild... so it ain;t always the tyre.

I think you have answered your own question really, but are trying to fight yourself out of it. I was all prepared to go for Advans after the T1-S, but got a good deal on the R and am immediately impressed, yes i agree new rubber vs old rubber, but i've done about 6000 miles on them now including track work and can convincingly state they are a much better tyre than the T1-S, and given the reviews that got, i really don't think you can go far wrong.

Whilst I ain't Walshy, i have pushed my car toward its limits on track and they are a fantastic tyre, much more progressive, lots of grip, nowhere near as much flex as T1-S... i cannot give the definitive answer to you, but can recommend them very highly. Plus you are saving £100... which would get you braided brake hoses which would reduce your stopping distances :)

Well, its all good stuff isnt it chaps! Scott, you say that there is "nowhere as near the amount of flex", so I take it there is some albeit a little. Having never had flex issues on p0, how/ when does this affect the handling and by how much?(2000 words, hand it in by 3pm this afternoon Scott or meet me in detention!) :D

Also, Ian, isnt there a bloke on Seloc that works for Toyo and was able to get a full set for ~250 straight off? (Sorry for being vague, I tend to lurk in the boards when Im bored and dont always take everything in fully)

And on braided hoses, tbh, Im not 100% sure I know what they are. Something to do with reducing sponginess. The upgrade I *really* need is a labotomy and a 'progressive braking foot technique' from my experience at North Weald. Might be a while saving up for that one.. :)

Yup Tim Stevens, is sponsored by them, but is selling the Exige so that may not be around for much longer.

Braided hoses, yes the reduce sponginess, increase pedal feel, so you can break on the limit of adhesion for longer... worthwhile, but not essential.... did mine as i was doing the clutch hose and a brake fluid change at the same time.

As for the sidewall flex, yes there is some, every tyre will have some flex in the sidewall... apart from the run flats, that is the nature of how they work. The main points at which you will notice a flex in the sidewall will be when you turn into a corner, there may be a sensation of "floatiness" rather than direct sharp turn in, you can get used to it and drive through it but it can be a bit weird initially. It is noticeable on the T1-S, but tbh i cannot say it has ever stood out as being an issue with the R. Toyo's take time to bed in too, so intially they feel very weird, again less of an issue with the R!

You are welcome to try my car if you wish, but i don't know where you live :)

Archived