litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tyre Sizes For S1

Sol

Cheers Scott, but I fear the trip from Bedford might be a little long! But I wouldnt mind [cough] 'borrowing' it for a trackday :)

Money is very tight at the mo, and the service/mot/new tryes are going to do me over. I also have a feeling I might need some new brake discs soon which would take precedence over the hoses. If the offer is still open, I would like to see what the brake feel is like at the next run I attend(ie the next one to the east of the midlands) or the next event I see you at..

Be interested in seeing what Ian comes up with price wise on the Toyos and sleep over it..any news Ian? Ladders, what conclusions you coming to?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not wishing to steal the thread but ... :D

I looked at my S1 the other day, contemplating wheel rims and sizes etc.

I like the car colour and like the early silver rims fitted.

Just wondered if anyone has fitted 225's to the rear and fitted rear rims to the front with a lower profile front tyre ? - Clearance ?

i.e. 16" rims all round but running a lower profile on the front to match the rolling radius of the 195/15 i.ei.e. drop to a 40 series or so on the front for even tighter handling.

Just a thought, but would Toyo T1-R's be available for such a change ?

To give the tread back, I've learnt from all the others that P0's are cack, and they are, very much looking to go with T1-r's when I sort my rim query out.

:)

Bob

Daft idea I'm afraid. Doubt there's a suitable tyre that would fit and wheel offsets different front/rear put paid to the idea. Plus, more than likely to encounter clamshell rubbing. To say nothing of the handling - completely unbalanced with respect to weight distribution.

Graeme

No hanging about, me! Still not 100% sure which way to go, but been lurking on Seloc and have u2u Tim Stevens to see what price he comes up with. Check this thread- around 245(inc vat +del) or he mentions £239 for Selocers.

Also found another thread by Jaye Here where a place in Biggleswade does them fitted for £267! Saxon gate, I believe they are called (01767 314011). For me, they are very close by, so would make sense if they offer the right sizes. They will be hearing from me tomorrow morning..

The saga continues..

"braided hoses reduce braking distance" - what a load of old twaddle. Maybe if you really don't get on with the feel or the hoses are knackered, but I can't say I've noticed the difference.

As to tyres, at this time of year I'd go for 185/205 for quicker warm up and better water dispersal. Continentals are my preferred winter tyre. Advans are very good if you want to go 195/225 but I haven't used them in snow yet so my testing isn't complete :)

BTW "Advan" is a range name so make sure you get LTS.

Having not tried toyos I can't say how they compare.

Well, I have been contacted by Tim Stevens- tstevens(at)wimtimber(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk. Asked him about group discount/seloc discount and the reply was:

"£249 normally.. Will do for £243.69 each....whether just you or a few others if that helps ?

Del usually 24 hrs, del to place of work or local tyre fitter......someone needs to sign for them. Chq to me or bank transfer. Happy to order up without waiting for chq to arrive if in a hurry!". Having heard about prompt delivery from Selocers, I would probably go for him rather than Camskill(good price though) because you arent dealing with a faceless website. Experience of Dabs.com the useless charlatans has taught me to be very wary.

Also spoke with Saxon gate and the price fitted/balanced inc vat is a rather amazing £267.50!! Thats nearly £60 quid cheaper than Horizon, and very close for me..(and also £170 cheaper than the keenest Advans quote fitted, from Nick Whale- which is not close by..) I think based on what we have been discussing, the Toyos it is.

I will probably go for 195/225 mainly because I dont use Ella quite so much in the winter and would hope the tyres would last more than 6 months ;)

Archived