litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Le Mans Next Year

Kris H

Could someone who's done this before (well recently anyway) make a decision - or begin the debate about:

Which campsite?

Which crossing?

Which days? i.e. how early to arrive, how early to leave?

Which travel operator?

And any other important details like tickets!

It's reasonable to assume that Racespeed won't be taking anyone this year...

Graeme

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'll start then. I went this year, as did Dobbo, Simon G, Steve R, Ladders and some others from here, and the usual suspects from SELOC. Not all in the same campsite, but the SELOC group was. Went with racespeed, but it wasn't really racespeed - can't remember the name of the firm who actually sorted it all but will find out - motorsport international or something I think. Sure there'll be an organised thing through SELOC which I reckon would be the way to go. This means that crossings, tickets, camping permits etc are all taken care of. Costs about £200 ish per head all in, assuming two in a car. You have to add food, booze etc to that then.

Went on Thursday this year but next year would probably go late on Wednesday, and plan to come back on Sunday night, either driving through the night, which was a laugh, or stopping somewhere up the coast. Camp site turns into pikey heaven as soon as the race ends. Going early means that you get to drive certain bits of the circuit if you're lucky, do lots of the things which are there by way of entertainment which you won't have time to do at the weekend, and see all the practice etc.

Houx Annexe campsite seemed the best, which was where we were. Right in the middle of the circuit, right by the roundabout for larks etc, and pretty easy to get in and out of the town.

Doesn't matter what time or crossing folks use as there are always lots of alternatives, and provided someone goes early to tape off the area, it's fine for the later arrivals. We did the ferry from Dover which was fine - about 2 1/2 hours from here. Also flexible, if you get there early, you can usually go early - we did in both directions. Would probably do that again.

Brilliant experience this year.

My 2ps worth.

Kristian :)

The 'Great British Welcome' which is free and put on by the locals for drivers of prestige cars...

This happens on the Friday morning and is followed by a run which some folks go on, others don't bother with. We didn't due to a serious hangover...

post-2-1093861795.jpg

Been to Le Mans for the last two years.

You can get a general admission ticket on the doors, cost about £ 70.00.

Camping at the Aerodrome was 18 Euros Thurs night to Sunday Night, just turn up and camp, the marshall will come round on Thursday / Friday to collect your money. Also, we were able to use the toilets in the Expo Centre opposite. Also, you can park your car on the side of the road for free!

We're going over on Weds next year, travelling the scenic route around the coast to Le Harvre and then dropping south through the countryside....should be great.

Did anyone here travel back from Le Mans this year on the Monday morning? The drive back was an absolute blast. Saw loads of Elises & TVR's. Made the weekend! Like a mini Gumball event on its own.

We drove back through the night (left at about 11:30pm) and it was great - basically nothing on the road, and no traffic coppers, and only saw the occasional British sports car for company, usually travelling very fast...

General admission 70 quid ? We paid 53 quid through a UK agent, and when we got there they were on sale at 51 Euros ! We said we 'd just risk it at the gate next year.

That gave us entry to all public areas all weekend and the pitlane on Friday morning.

Cool beer wall. We'll go for a bigger MLOC one, shall we ?

Chris

Pete - that was exactly why I did it this year and was glad I did.

Driving through the night was quite knackering Graeme but had two other choices really - risk getting a lot of stuff nicked by the pikeys who were quite aggressively patrolling the campsites from about 5pm onwards in big groups, (and even pinched a generator which was chained down) by staying overnight, or leave before the end of the race which quite a few folks did. Suppose we could have left later and headed up the coast but their idea was to have a sociable evening, which would have meant getting there at a reasonable hour.

Driving through was very funny anyway - foggy as hell and quite difficult to fall asleep at, erm, reasonable speed, with the roof off obviously and a bit chilly! Next year would take a load of red bull though, even though it's foul.

No beers on the sunday either - had had quite enough by then...

Hooray!

I did think I might not be able to make it as we organise an event in June that I couldnt really miss, but thats the weekend after I've just found out! :)

Right, this time I think we should organise so we all drive down at the same time? This year there was just the 3 of us in convoy so we need to get more together.

Some of the guys I'm going with are taking a van so we could get some decent facilites down there as well

Can't wait ;)

We'll be going again. ;)

We stayed in Karting Nord which seemed like a good location - met lots of good people in some crazy cars (driving a radical to france - in the rain :) ). Not sure if we'd stay there again or go to Houx Annex.

We drove down on Thursday morning (v.v. early) which worked well - lots of fast cars to play with and no sign of plod. Not much choice by then as to where to camp, although plenty turned up later. We might go on wednesday next year, but dont want to miss the hijinks on the way down, which were the most fun Ive had driving!

We went before the end of the race on Sunday with a lot of the SELOC guys/girls and stayed at a nice hotel about an hour from Calais - definitely the right move. Lots of people doing the same and cathcing the end of the race at the hotel on eurosport. Lots of beers that night and not far to go to the tunnel.

Details come out soon for November booking IIRC.

Could someone who's done this before (well recently anyway) make a decision - or begin the debate about:

Which campsite?

Which crossing?

Which days? i.e. how early to arrive, how early to leave?

Which travel operator?

And any other important details like tickets!

It's reasonable to assume that Racespeed won't be taking anyone this year...

Graeme

Graeme, I think it would be best to see if SELOC have any official plans and base them round that?

Really does make it better if you are with a load of other people you know!

I think though ideally I would like to stay on the SELOC Houx Annexe site, and organise everything else myself - tickets etc. That way you are prob looking at £150 - £200 for everything!

Archived