litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Exige “espionage”

Mark H

Lotus Exige “Espionage” makes fashionable entrance

at Harrods Truly British Event

Lotus Cars, the sportscar manufacturer, and Gieves & Hawkes, the Savile Row tailor, have

conspired to form two of the most fashionable accessories for the modern day spy. The

collaboration of the British brands is part of Truly British at Harrods, which runs until 15

October, showcasing the best this country has to offer, revelling in the fascinating melting pot

of cultures that makes Britain Great.

Creating the ultimate vehicle for the secret agent demands a flair for creativity and a passion

for engineering the latest innovations, therefore making Lotus the perfect candidate. With

proven experience from the Lotus Esprit, made famous for its starring role in a couple of the

James Bond films such as the “The Spy Who Loved Me”, the Lotus Design Team led by Chief

Designer, Russell Carr, was able to develop the one-off Lotus Exige “Espionage.”

Based on the standard 189 hp Lotus Exige, the coupé sportscar combines the elegant

sophistication of the Gieves & Hawkes collection with the engineering ingenuity and style of

the high performance trackcar-for-the road. Complementing the Gieves & Hawkes-designed

bespoke classic navy pin striped Spy Suit, the Lotus Exige features a navy exterior and a

central white pinstripe flash. Inside the car, the design philosophy has been extended to the

seat upholstery (squab and cushion), door inserts and dashboard, using the same Gieves &

Hawkes pinstripe wool cloth used in the Spy Suit.

Silk, used in the lining of the suit has been used to clad the back of the seats. The interior also

boasts tailor-made leather floormats with “eyelet” detailing, taking cues from the classic shoes

worn by the ultimate English secret agent.

Commenting on the unique Lotus and Gieves & Hawkes partnership, Clive Dopson, Managing

Director of Lotus Cars, explains, “In this prestigious celebration of British lifestyle and culture, it

has been an exciting opportunity to change the rules, combining the style and elegance of

fashion with the interior design of a high performance sportscar. To be associated with a

fashion collection such as Gieves & Hawkes, synonymous with a rich tailoring heritage, has

provided a unique platform for the demonstration of the design qualities which make Lotus

cars such an exciting and special driving experience.”

The Lotus Exige “Espionage” and Gieves & Hawkes Spy Suit will be on display in The British

Tailoring Room, on Ground at Harrods, until 15 October, 2005. Following the high level of

interest, the one-off Lotus Exige “Espionage” is to be retailed at the on the road price of

£39,995 following the event.

This post has been promoted to an article

20955124445big.jpg

ExigeBig2.gif

ExigeBig3.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ooh that looks really classy - I must have one and then maybe I'll get accepted into the aristocracy..."

There's a fundamental mismatch between your pretty hardcore Exige customer and the needless tatt added to this car. OK it's a publicity stunt but scores a big fat zero for real-world relevence.

i know it looks a bit odd and all that pinstripe cloth is a bit bold, but the real killer is that i work for gieves and hawkes as 1 of only 12 store managers and wasnt offered the car at a staff discount of 50o/o. how gutted am i. :angry:

still should at least get af ree factory tour out of it at least. :D

i know it looks a bit odd and all that pinstripe cloth is a bit bold, but the real killer is that  i work for gieves and hawkes as 1 of only 12 store managers and wasnt offered the car at a staff discount of 50o/o. how gutted am i. :angry:

still should at least get af ree factory tour out of it at least. :D

Count yourself lucky you didn't get offered the discount - you may have been tempted to buy the 'dapper monstrosity'!! :D

Push for the factory tour - word of advice though - don't wear your best pinstripe & bowler hat as they might get oily :D

Some bloody toff will buy it, then say its really uncomfortable and try sell it on ebay for twice the price of the market value, saying its a special edition

then we can all take the piss out of him :angry:

Archived