Nurburgring? Would You?

JonS

Nurburgring  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you drive The Green Hell?

• Definitly would!
    • Definitly wouldn't!
    • Already have!

In the light of my recent exploits I'm just wondering what other people's opinions of the Nurburgring are. I know my opinion changed several times over the space of the weekend we were there, and we certainly saw the results of over-confidence, but I'm interested to know who would, will or has been around the Nurburgring.

Vote and post your opinions of the Ring, whether you've been there or not.

:groupwave:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting hearing Eddie Jordan and Martin Brundle talking about the Nordschleife. Martin apparently was taken around it a few years ago and thought it was incredibly scary, and EJ said:

The most daunting place you could ever want to drive

Bah! wimps! :groupwave:

Defo, i love the place just got back from my third visit and im desperate to go back....anyone going to the RSR Lotus event at the end of the month??? Im counting up my pennies, im thinking this is a must lol :drive:. Back to the point though, if your a petrol head the "Green hell" is our Mecca.

i voted no, not because i dont fancy it, but from u-tube etc it seems they let 2 many nutters on the course at the same time,

just plain stupid and money grabbing to me to have supercars, bikes and a rep mobile on the track at the same time.

and road works...on a race track :D

defined groups and better conrtol and i'd love to give it a go, but for now i'll pass thx

richbk

i voted no, not because i dont fancy it, but from u-tube etc it seems they let 2 many nutters on the course at the same time,

just plain stupid and money grabbing to me to have supercars, bikes and a rep mobile on the track at the same time.

and road works...on a race track :D

defined groups and better conrtol and i'd love to give it a go, but for now i'll pass thx

richbk

Remember, it's just a public toll road so marshalling is pretty minimal and as for roadworks, there were a couple areas where barriers were being repair/replaced, and also just before the entrance to the Karousel there were cones in the road, presumably channelling traffic into single file.

There were a lot of nutters. Nutters became our word of the weekend as we used it so much. You can't help them, just let them go on the straights and get on with caning them in the corners and melting your own tyres in the process :(

I feel an MLOC Ring Weekend could be on the menu for next year?!

Have been the last two years with the seloc crowd. Awsome place. Yeah there are plenty of nutters, but being nutters, they're usually past you before you notice them. That's fine just let them go.

When my lottery numbers come up, I'll have one of those apartments overlooking Adenau Bridge. :(

Stayed at the Ringhaus, and just waking up in the morning was a joy. Woken up to the sound of cars belting round, and the smell of oil and rubber (Oi, I mean the smells from the track. What I got up to in my room is my own business ;) ) is something else.

If you're worried about other cars on track and it being too crowded, this years trip is Lotus only. Should be no more than 100 - 150 cars there, which is very spread out on a 13 mile track. Wish I was going, now :(

post-1306-1247756028.jpg

I have every intention of having a pop at the lap record round the ring with our Ultima when its finally finished, so I am alittle more than enthusiastic about going there! (Need a few more laps on the Playstation first though!) lol.

I have every intention of having a pop at the lap record round the ring with our Ultima when its finally finished, so I am alittle more than enthusiastic about going there! (Need a few more laps on the Playstation first though!) lol.

If you are serious I really hope you have done hundreds of 'real' laps or it could get expensive. Mind you to do a full lap you need to rent the circuit exclusive or do one of the main trackdays, but they will be less than impressed at anyone timing.

Going back to the OP.

TBH the Ring isn't as much fun as it used to be, the issues aren't the bloody quick cars, they know what they are doing and piss past you on the straights, it's the tossers who think they know the circuit but don't, the ego's in the expensise cars who won't let you past, and the Brits in wrecks dropping fluids all over the circuit which leads to people getting killed.

Best years I ever went there were about 12-13 years ago when you entered via the old pitlane and it was almost unknown in the UK, started going downhill about 8 years ago and now is a lottery. (Industry pool lapping is the best though :D )

Well, I had an awesome time. There weren't too many 'tossers' or 'Brits in wrecks' around. The circuit was closed twice during the day, once for an English Elise which managed to bash both front and rear clam in a spin against the armco, just infront of us, and the other an M3 with roll cage which certainly wasnt going anywhere apart from the scrap heap afterwards. Dont know how the driver was but his car was totalled.

This articel came up on PistonHeads last week. Could be of interest to a few:

Ring Insurance

• 1 month later...

Oh YES.... :D:P Have been there three times..and LOVED every second :) ...yes it is mad ..but absolutely fantastic...nobody should miss out on this as an experience...it is totally exhilarating for both scary and fun reasons...keeps you on your toes..drive within your capabilities and dont go mad the first few times out..take time to get a feel for the track and the feel of much faster machines driving around you... the only thing I would say is avoid when wet..it is too unpredictable the track is not maintained to any high standard...or if you feel you must go out drive very very slowly in the wet...although I have still seen people crash at relatively low speeds in the wet because there is just NO grip in some places.. :P

There is abrilliant campsite right by the track and you can watch Drifting competitions in the evening or what ever else might be racing all for free as you are right there...

GO FOR IT..if you are umming and arrring!!!...you wont regret it (hopefully) :P

Id still like to give it a go sometime even though I've read its still in essence a public road and speed limits still do apply and that you should expect anything around the next corner - a coach for example.

If MLOC or anyone is doing a trip or somthing there plz let me know cos its the only other european circuit I'd love to have a go at except Spa :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived