litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tyre Query And Sore Leg (unrelated)

Rob2

Hi,

New member, been 'visiting' for a while but only just got round to registering.

Have had my standard S1 since August and still loving it but am in need of tyres all round and, having read all your useful discussions, am having the Toyo/Advans debate with myself. Toyos currently ahead due to the shock of opening my post-Xmas visa bill!

However, I am still a bit confused about sizes for rears. I notice most people go for 225's but elises.co.uk says this is OK for the Advans but not for Toyo T1+'s on standard rims and doesn't even comment on the best size for the T1-S's.

Can anyone clear this up for me, once and for all?

Also, are any other tyres not even worth talking about? Have had reasonable quote on Yokohama A539's. Any comments?

And, unrelated, does anyone ever get a sore right knee whilst driving thier Elise? It's not excrutiating, just annoying. I've tried different seat positions etc but nothing seems to help. Anyone ever heard of it before or am I just a freak?!

Thanks for listening.

Cheers,

Rob.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A539's are track orientated, IIRC - and are very very poor in the wet, and very very good in the dry...popular with Exige owners, if I'm getting the right tyre.

205 rear, 185 front is the right size if I remember correctly...

As for sore knees....not found it myself...technically your right knee shouldn't be moving too much unless your doing some seriously fast throttle movements - I find my left leg starts to ache in traffic with all the clutch pressing!

205's rear and 185's at the front were std. fitment originally, and having driven them for a year (P Zero's) would say that they offer sharper turn in and a more "mobile" rear end which depending on your driving style you may prefer.

I then fitted advans at 225 rear and 195 front and saw the grip improve dramatically (IMO). but the turn in was numbed a little and the car overall felt far more planted at the rear end with more tendency to understeer than on the narrower tyres.

Then i fitted S2 dampers and VX springs at the front and it was truly quality..... it gripped way more than as standard.

Just my 2 pence worth. The advans made a huge difference to the overall feeling of being "planted" on the road to me.

Johnny M

Know nothing about S1 tyres so won't comment.

Depending on how you're driving, the right leg thing can be from actually being pressed quite hard against the side of the car. After I'd done a 1st lotus day I had huge bruises down the side of my right leg. If you're just driving 'normally' then no idea, and you might be right about being a freak.

Kristian :P

Pretty much as said above..... 185/205 is std but many people opted for 195/225 as it makes the car more planted, but does numb the handling a little... how much i don't know.

A539's that Matty mentions are a fairly std Yokohama tyre (not the Exige specific ones) they are supposed to be Excllent, i know Jonny from Bookatrack runs them on his Honda engined Elise and that is pretty much track only.... fine on the road, but i'm not sure they still make them.

I personally use Toyo's and they are fine for road use, they just have a habit of melting on track :) Long and the short of it... depends where you drive, i can't imagine Yoko Advans being much better (if at all) on the road... so if you don't drive on track, save yourself £160 and buy Toyo's.

I get a pain in my right leg from putting to much weight on that leg while getting out of the car because it is twisted aswell..this normally happens when I can't open the door fully e.g. garage etc.

Ben

p.s. I am not fat before you ask.

I have a nice leather bit over the alu chassis bar on the right side,

I did find a normal Elise without this uncomfortable.

I do however have a freaky left arm that depresses the horn on exit,

although since my carbon upgrade have found this has helped a lot!

Actually that's a point Rob, you might have caught 'Bramble'. It would appear to be curable with some carbon fibre inserts if found early enough, but worth getting medical attention anyway. :clap:

:( like the poor guy is going to understand this!

try someones Elise with the padded knee rests, then if u think this will help

I am sure you can order them from some upholstery shop, lotus or other.

Then you will have a really comfy right leg! Sorted! :)

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Still a bit unsure if 225 Toyos are safe on standard rims? What size are you running Scott Mac?

What's the general consensus; am I better off sticking to the standard sizes all round or opting for the 195/225's??

Re. sore leg; think I've got the leather 'padding' over the chassis rail, for what it's worth. Might try beefing it up though. Otherwise, will look into those carbon fibre leg inserts! Eliseparts.com?

Rob

I'm running Advans on Sport 160 wheels, and have done a mix of road driving and track days with them. Can't comment on them relative to other tyres, as they're the only thing I've had on my Elise so far. However, track performance is excellent, and they seem to be lasting really well too - they've done Elvington and Brands with my car's previous owner, plus Bruntingthorpe and Donington with me... and will be doing Bedford next weekend.

Here's a picture of one of mine during a track day:

gallery28.jpg

Is that at a trackday, there is a small amount of peeling on the rubber on the outside edge... but if you took the same with a Toyo, there would be a load, across the entire tyre...

That has stood up well - makes me think i'll try them next!

I soooooo want those wheels too, they'll suit my car so well!

Hi rob.

I have standard rims on my S1 and previously had the standard set up. Now i have the 195s front and 225s Toyos on the back and they perform very well and require no modifications. I have heard that that this sometimes isnt the case but i guess its worth a go!

whatever tyre you go for - make sure you take them on the track - its a great thrill!!!

Steve ;)

Archived