litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Woohoo, Mods Declared!

Scott_Mac

Just declared all my mods... sports exhaust, Hurricane etc to Tesco and opted for the stainless so doesn't rust and quoted manufacturer of Hurricane as having no increase in performance...

Result, no increase in premium :D

God i was grateful to get a girl on the line..... :oops:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell did you manage that?!?

They screwed me over on my Lupo with the suspension change, you even said they asked for £150 (?) when you mentioned the exhaust before..

Come on, whats the secret...and don't say "charm" - cause we all know it aint that :D

Scott

You're probably about safe to say that each of those individually has a neglible performance increase, as the manfacturers would say also. When added together there may be a bit of an increase but if you're adding them one at a time you're probably not too far off. Be interested to know what the exhaust's like since I don't know of anyone else who's got one of the ones you're getting. Only comment that I have heard is that they're well made. Insurers seem to be more dubious about sports cats for some reason. Mine were fine with the hurricane and exhaust but not too chuffed about the sports cat for some reason. :D

Kristian :oops:

I believe they're unwritten by Direct Line. I've got the same mods, and got the same result from DL. They thanked me for telling them, and didn't change the premium. For the record, they said a single mod increasing power by up to 10% would be an extra £80. Obviously, the Exige exhaust and Hurricane that I've got don't change the power at all ;-) ... on their own ...

I think the method is to talk to someone and sell them a convincing story, then back it up with a letter and ask for a new certificate showing the mods.

Pretty impressed with them and good price (by a long way). Excess is a bit high for my liking, but maybe that makes me a bit more careful ?

No experience of claiming from DL, except a friend who had a house fire. Insured with DL and got an extremely good service throughout the clean up and repairs.

Chris

Have new docs on way, so should all be ok!

I didn't mention the decat on mine Kris as obviously it makes the car non road legal :)

As for performance increase, apparantly the lot i have will make quite a lot of increase - like 10bhp apparantly :D Major result if so... but i mainly wanted freer revving and more noise :oops:

DL by the way are underwritten by UK Insurance Ltd, as are Tesco and Egg... so not the same company, but similar.

I'm sure you're right about the total but each individually is neglible. The insurance companies seem to have CRPs listed as performance upgrades, quite oddly, so I guess they're not too bothered about your emissions levels. On mine the exhaust and hurricane, at a couple of bhp probably each weren't that much of a bother but they treated those two and the sports cat as an up to 10% and increased the premium. Since I've had to make a claim and know how stressful waiting to see if they'll pay up is, didn't want to take any risks. You should notice the difference pretty easily I'd say, and the sound will be so much better. Enjoy :oops:

Kristian :D

Pretty impressed with them and good price (by a long way).  Excess is a bit high for my liking, but maybe that makes me a bit more careful ?

No experience of claiming from DL, except a friend who had a house fire.  Insured with DL and got an extremely good service throughout the clean up and repairs.

Chris

I have my insurance with direct line and yes my excess is high too. But...My car got broken into before xmas and I lost everything...stereo the works....they even tried to get the steering column off too.

Direct line replaced the window...the stereo...and I pick my car up tomorrow after having a whole car respray.....including a buff down to get rid of all the stone chips and all new badges/decals.....because of the scratches caused by the broken glass.

All handled very well indeed....550 excess but well worth it!!

G B)

Scott - Will let you know on the performance increase (hopefully !) - it's going on a rolling road on Saturday. I've got the CRP as well, but again didn't tell the Ins Co as (technically) that does make the car illegal and therefore uninsured. Obviously, I'll need to forget the results before next renewal...

Chris

:(

Excellent.. would be interesting to hear the benefits... though I ahve to say the aural benefit of just the Hurriacane is well worth the cash!

I discovered something even better today too... it mainly involved driving home with the passenger side window wound down, and "giving it some" :D:P

Having done the Exige exhaust over a year ago, the Hurricane last summer and the CRP last November, I agree that the Hurricane was individually the best increase in noise quality, but the CRP beats it hands down on actual noise level.

Especially when you've got your foot to the floor through a tunnel. It scares the shite out of other drivers as you scream past. And it really does scream ;-)

:D

Excellent.. would be interesting to hear the benefits... though I ahve to say the aural benefit of just the Hurriacane is well worth the cash!

I discovered something even better today too... it mainly involved driving home with the passenger side window wound down, and "giving it some" :D:P

Agree about the hurricane noise Scott - very different sort of noise from exhaust/cat though, kind of like a loud 'WAAAAHHHH' sound - difficult to describe much more than that. If someone has a better description, please enlighten me...

Kristian :(

Archived