litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 driver side indicator fail

Mik127
Go to solution Solved by Jonathan E,

Hello all, just out curiosity has anybody else experienced either one of there front side indicators taking flight mid drive ? I was driving back from Whitchurch yesterday and mine decided to do exactly that. 
haven’t hit any pot holes, nor had I previously loosened it off around the seals etc…. Just very bizarre as I’ve never had a car like this where bits and pieces just fly off lol. 
also when getting a replacement as I have now ordered are there any ‘upgrades’ you can do to prevent this as I’ll be honest I’ll be driving with a bit of PTSD. Lol

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

It's not happened to me but I know it isn't unheard of. If you do a search on Seloc there will be threads I'm sure.

They aren't Porsches that's for sure!

• Solution

I had an indicator take flight on an 03 111s when it was a month old, the car had various other issues and went back to Lotus to have them all fixed. 10 miles after collecting it the “fixed” unit made another bid for freedom. Lotus fixed the problem by shortening the loom to the indicator😂, which to be fair did solve the problem of it flailing all over the paintwork. The front clips are a real weak point and combined with poor tolerances around the indicator recess they do tend to break at an alarming rate. New units are not cheap(as you now know) there are several fixes out there but the best I’ve found is this one:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2837864, if you get them made in abs they will solve the flying indicator problem. I got some printed by Shapeways https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/other?q=uk but that was quite some time ago so there may be cheaper options out there.

On 24/03/2024 at 22:23, DeanB said:

Hi

It's not happened to me but I know it isn't unheard of. If you do a search on Seloc there will be threads I'm sure.

They aren't Porsches that's for sure!

Hi, 

I’ll be honest I’ve never heard of them doing so until I took up your advice and checked on Seloc and noticed it was apparently obvious this was a common theme. turned out by the looks of thing the bumper had been off previously and I would assume they snapped the clip holding them in place as on the other side it was cable tied. 
100% they aren’t Porsches but I know which one I’d rather own lol. I can’t get enough of driving my Elise it’s addictive! 

On 25/03/2024 at 13:23, Jonathan E said:

I had an indicator take flight on an 03 111s when it was a month old, the car had various other issues and went back to Lotus to have them all fixed. 10 miles after collecting it the “fixed” unit made another bid for freedom. Lotus fixed the problem by shortening the loom to the indicator😂, which to be fair did solve the problem of it flailing all over the paintwork. The front clips are a real weak point and combined with poor tolerances around the indicator recess they do tend to break at an alarming rate. New units are not cheap(as you now know) there are several fixes out there but the best I’ve found is this one:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2837864, if you get them made in abs they will solve the flying indicator problem. I got some printed by Shapeways https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/other?q=uk but that was quite some time ago so there may be cheaper options out there.

Many thanks for your reply! I’ve got to say I for one didn’t appreciate my indicator smashing into my window whilst doing so questionable speed lol. Genuinely made me jump. 
after doin go some homework I had noticed that what you pointed out in relation to the clips being a weak point again that’s a common site on a lot of these posts. I will look into those links you’ve sent me hopefully that solves my issue once and for all.