litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tyre Choices

Guido

My car went into PJS last week for a full Geo setup.  It's made such a difference to the handling of the car - Money well spent!!

It was pointed out to me that my front tyres were over 8 years old!  Although they have plenty of tread, I was advised to change them.  My current front tyres are Yokohama AD07 (175/55R16).  My rears are AD08RS (225/45R17).  Due the car being my daily, I was advised to look at Yokohama V105 to replace the AD07's.  I would have to increase tyres to 195/50R16 though.

Is the combination of front and rears a good one or would I be better replacing all 4 for V105's?  Any other recommendation?  I realise tyre choice is subjective but any guidance woudl be much appreciated.

Edited by Guido

• Guido changed the title to Tyre Choices
52 minutes ago, Guido said:

Would V105's be better that getting AD08RS's (to match the rears)?

Reducing the wet grip at the front to match the back?  That's one way to go :)  I'd rather have at least the improved winter weather braking and not push my luck on greasy roundabouts, but this precise combination isn't one I've tried.  Almost anything you get will have better grip in the wet and cold than old AD07 (LTS?) tyres.  That said, I've driven my Elise on tyres older than that and lived to tell the tail - it makes the revelation of new tyres even more pronounced.

Maybe should have burnt through the rears over the summer and then you'd have a good excuse for four new tyres.

37 minutes ago, Lithopsian said:

Reducing the wet grip at the front to match the back?  That's one way to go :)  I'd rather have at least the improved winter weather braking and not push my luck on greasy roundabouts, but this precise combination isn't one I've tried.  Almost anything you get will have better grip in the wet and cold than old AD07 (LTS?) tyres.  That said, I've driven my Elise on tyres older than that and lived to tell the tail - it makes the revelation of new tyres even more pronounced.

Maybe should have burnt through the rears over the summer and then you'd have a good excuse for four new tyres.

Ha!!!  I've only has the car 3 months so no chance to wear the tyres out in hotter conditions!!!!  Given the choice, would you replace all 4 tyres for V105's?

3 hours ago, Guido said:

Ha!!!  I've only has the car 3 months so no chance to wear the tyres out in hotter conditions!!!!  Given the choice, would you replace all 4 tyres for V105's?

If money were no object then yes!

I have V105s all round. Good in the wet and cold and good enough in the dry and hot. I'm happy with them.

• Thanks 1

My OCD wouldn’t allow me to have different tyres on the front and rear. 😂    If you’ve gone to the trouble and expense of a geo set up, new boots all round would sort you right out I suspect.  But that’s my personal view and like Dean said if you have the cash why not.  You could always stick the old rears on the classifieds see if anyone has use for them and you could perhaps get a few quid back.  Not tried the v105s but those that have say good things.  Good luck either way 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

Fronts have been fitted. At the moment it’s difficult to say if they have made a massive difference as I am driving carefully due to the very wet conditions. What I am pleased about is the increased tyre size, 175/55 to 195/50, doesn’t seem have added any oversteer (which I was worried about).  The car handles beautifully  

So far so good. 👍

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, belle427 said:

I've just put 4 V105 on my S2 in place of the 888R and am very happy with them.

Seem a good all round road tyre.

I made the same swap. It transformed my car - cured the horrible tramlining I had with the stiff sidewalled 888s.

• 2 months later...

Multiple things have come up on my Exige recently: I’ve got a damper leaking, my headlining has started sagging, and in jacking the car up today -to investigate the dampers- I’ve found my rear tyres are nearing the end of their legal life. 

Currently on R888. Fronts are still good. I’d prefer to change all four, but the other jobs also need doing! 

Do I

• change rears to R888R (I know they’re different to R888 anyway) to stay somewhat similar
  • change rears only to V105 or is this asking for weird handling
  • change all four

Happy to receive opinions. At least I can avoid discussions about replacing dampers… Bilstein refurbishment will have to suffice.

V105s are a nice tyre for year round use. A lot less grip in the warm weather but better in the cold and very wet. Also, the sidewalls are a lot softer than 888s so they don't tramline as bad. If you use your car in the winter they would be my choice. But all four, not just rears!

If you have been happy with the 888s and only use the car in warmer weather I would just stick some 888Rs on the rear. They work perfectly fine with 888s on the front - I know because I did exactly that.

Bilstein refurb is the way to go - if you like the way the car handled before don't fix something that ain't broke!

Thanks, Dean.

I never use my car in the cold, and wet weather is only if it happens while I’m out… some wet LiTP events come to mind. I can’t say wet or cold weather performance is a priority. I wouldn’t say the 888s have been dangerous in the wet when I have been out… just don’t push as hard and increase braking distances. 

The softer side wall of the 105 would please the Mrs, and I’ve read about the R888Rs being stiffer. Again, she rarely comes out in it so not a priority!