litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Stereo upgrade

Random

I know there's alot of these posts but I'm asking for more specific information.

I'm going to upgrade the stereo to a Sony dsx-gs80 which has a built in amp and other nice features. 

I'm sure I'm going to need to have a line connected from the fused board or battery to the stereo for extra power. Don't want no electrical fires! Or does it need doing at all. I'm not going to be running a sub just speakers which will get upgraded in the future.

Anyone recommend a place that can do this as I'm not electrical savvy at all and want it done right. 

Thanks. And hope everyone has a great Christmas!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used a long standing car Hifi firm in Leicester on Oakland Rd they installed my Headunit and sorted the rear camera charged about £160 I recall ? 
my son a year later sorted my rear sub and amp but he needs to do some extra work but now in poor health so will have wait 

The manual says more than 15A at full power, and use 14-gauge wiring to the battery.  Without a sub it might not be so much, and maybe you'll never turn it up that loud, but that is getting perilously close the the fused value on an S1, especially with Lotus's notoriously lightweight wiring.  For some reason, the S2/3 radio is fused at 7.5A which is really only enough for a modest 4x25W head unit.  I don't know if the wiring is correspondingly thinner.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies on this. I have got the unit now but not plugged in. I probably should go somewhere to make sure its wired up correctly. Im not going to have a sub. (lightness) but a stereo upgrade is needed to be fair.

Appreciate the help on this.

Archived