litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Anyone swapped Lithium-ion for Lead-acid battery?

Eric

My new arrival is fitted with a lightweight lithium-ion battery (originally spec'ed by the first owner but certainly not an option that I would have ticked if given the choice).  Yes, they save weight but are far too "needy".

So, just to test the waters, has anyone swapped a "needy" lithium-ion battery for a good old lead-acid battery?  If so, are there any harness or electrical differences that'll need sorting during the swap?

Cheers.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you think the L-ion battery is needy? The one fitted to my Cup 250 is fine, it lasts about the same time as a lead-acid if I don't use the car and if it gets too flat the protection circuit isolates it to prevent damage. I never leave mine on trickle charge over winter, I just top it up every few weeks, same as I do with lead acid. I honestly can't notice any difference!

This is the first Lotus I've had (my eighth!!) with a Li-ion battery.  Yes, it came with a CTEK "smart" charger, but I've read some pretty awful stories about batteries dying after, say, a week without being charged.  That does sound a bit "needy" to me.

Maybe I'll hang on for a bit and see how it goes, but just wanted to sound out what extra work would be required to swap back to a lead-acid lump.

Archived