litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Instructions for Changing K series Thermostat

grinnal

Hi 

I have a sticky thermostat on Elise S2 K series, I am looking for the location of it and a set of instructions on what you need to remove to get access?

Can anyone provide a guide ?

Many thanks 

Mike

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easiest if you remove the engine :)  The thermostat is located on the rear side of the engine, below the inlet manifold.  You can see it from above, kind of, but realistically you have to attack it from below and even that is a complete pain.

Taking off the clam makes it (almost) a doddle.  Failing that, take off the inlet manifold and save yourself a lot of wearing.  I'm told it is possible through the wheel arch (liner off) and from underneath (undertray off), but just when you think you can undo the single bolt holding the housing to the block, you'll find you still can't get it out without undoing the bracket holding the pipes to the block and you can barely even see that behind the plenum!

• 3 weeks later...

It’s doable. It’s on the boot (cold) side of the engine. I found the hardest part was pulling the thermostat holding out of the engine, I had to drift it out using a length of wood from under the drivers side wheel arch.

Archived