28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Elise type 79

Badger02

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Bit of an update.

It's a 1 owner from new. Standard engine. Now re registered in the UK.

Bit of a sad story, the owner has been diagnosed with dementia and can no longer drive it and his daughter is handling the sale.

She is trying to dig out all the history, service details etc and I'm hoping to view it next week.

List of my questions on the T79 answered (mostly). Going to view it on 5th June.
Original hardtop and softop.
Paint in good condition
Seats in poor condition
Sill covers in poor condition
Not sure if or when head gasket changed.

Sport 140 head fitted by Nick Whale in 2005.

Janspeed sports exhaust fitted in 2005.
Service history from 2000 to 2008 and from 2016 to now, but nowt from 2009 to 2015.
Cam belt change in 2019, don't know about water pump.
Yoko AD08R fitted with 4.5mm rear and 6mm on front remaining.
Nitron dampers fitted in 2011.
No idea if original radiator or upgraded
No corrosion on floors
Discs and pads ok
Can't see any corrosion where wishbones join the chassis
Wishbones not badly corroded.
Heater all working
Hazard switch not working

All in all apart from the seats, water pump and head gasket I think it sounds ok

Badg I have Nitrons on my Rover engined s2 so very similar. They are a fair bit stiffer than oem Lotus springs and dampers which is sometimes good, sometimes less good...

Overall I like them but for road use only they could be a little sofer - you can adjust the damping firmness but not the spring rates, obviously.

You can have a drive in mine if you want to try them. Send me a pm.

If yours are 11 years old I would be thinking of sending them to Nitron for a rebuild.  If you do that you can buy some softer springs and talk to them about re-valving to suit while you're at it. They will tailor them to your exact needs!

If you can get to them you should be able to find the serial number  - Nitron keep records and will tell you what type they are,eg 40mm piston, 46mm piston, Street Series (which I had before and didn't rate) and so on. I rang them once for this info and they were really helpful.

Looks good Badg - will this be an addition to the (very impressive) garage or a replacement for one of the other Elise's? 😀

Like Dean I have nitrons on the S2.  I much prefer the ride to my previous S1 which was on standard oems, although I haven't had chance to experiment with different settings on the nitrons as yet.

On 25/05/2022 at 21:30, JimF said:

Looks good Badg - will this be an addition to the (very impressive) garage or a replacement for one of the other Elise's? 😀

Like Dean I have nitrons on the S2.  I much prefer the ride to my previous S1 which was on standard oems, although I haven't had chance to experiment with different settings on the nitrons as yet.

Thanks for advice.

If I buy the T79, then will probably sell my S2

Archived