litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Supercharger advice.for new owner

Mrker60

Hi.this is my first lotus and first super charged car.

04 k type engine 19k miles.

If not abused what is a typical life of the super charger ?

Is there a belt to change not cambelt.

Are there injectors that can make a sticking noise when cold like on my ex boxster.

Thanks merry xmas mark

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mark - welcome to the joys of Lotus ownership!

Powerhouse in Chesterfield (not Sheffield...) have a good name for superchargers and are in your area. There's a recent'ish thread in the Technical section on here with a link, etc.

For servicing there are some good places - Chris Foulds (Holmfirth) gets good reviews.  PJS near Burton, a quick run down the M1/A38 from you, are Lotus-approved for servicing.

Powerhouse are in Chesterfield and yes, they are very good and good value. Superchargers will all be different and probably down to luck / bad luck if anything goes wrong. Nose rebuilds aren’t uncommon and not too expensive. I’m in Chesterfield and always use Gav (Unit 4) in Burton. 

Superchargers are generally driven from the auxiliary belt, not the cambelt.  Don't know the exact details on your car.  Shouldn't be any serious damage from losing drive to the supercharger, but a snapped auxiliary belt has been known to cause damage up to an including snapping or derailing the cambelt.  Inspection is a normal part of servicing and the belt doesn't usually break without giving some warning in advance.  There is no set replacement interval for the auxiliary belt on the standard K-series Lotus engines, but worth checking for your particular supercharger in case that does have a recommended interval.

On 31/12/2019 at 12:41, The Cakes said:

Haha it’s the difference between being a Yorkshireman or not! Very important if you live in Chesterfield 😂

Quite...probably why I only made the mistake once when I worked in Staveley! Although with umpteen relatives in the Creswell/Barlborough/Clowne area I should have known better...

Archived