litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Engine Missing On Acceleration

jeffers

Hi All

Ive had the elise (1996 S1) all of 6 days and have come accross my first "hurdle". Its been fine until today when shes started missing (from what I can tell), I think its probably weather realted - its p*ssed down all night). She starts (just) but there's no acceleration unless I'm REALLY gentle on the throttle. If I go anywhere past 1/4 throttle the power cuts out and it sounds like its missing.

Any ideas what to check first? Is it advisable to get some WD40 on the spark plugs? Do I need any special tools?

Thanks, Im really worried about this!

Jeff

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive had a look on the other threads and I think I have the cover everyone goes on about. Have a look at the attached pic, Ive marked where it says elise. Sorry about the quality, I had to use my phone.

I there anything I can do to fix this? A quick squirt of WD40?

EDIT: forgot to mention, when I was taking those pics I cound here a 'clicking' sound coming from somehwre near the airfiler. The car was OFF and had nothing in the ignition. I could feel a vibration in it too. Whats that?!?!

post-1168-1133530553.jpg

http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/index...?showtopic=5928

http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/index...?showtopic=4763

http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/index...?showtopic=2857

Just a few examples, if you need more do a search B)

The cover they mention is the S2 engine cover that goes over the top of the one in your picture to stop the water getting down to the leads/plugs. Check for water in your dizzy and put some ignition sealant on it when dry. Check the posts above for further details.

Very common problem, think most people had it at least once.

Ive never had that problem in the Liz but only had her in the relatively dry months. I also covered the engine with plastic sheet when I wasnt using it [all week]

I have now had corrosion on on of the plugs when i swapped to platinum on the VX so am fitting the vxl water ingress kit to cover sparks and coil packs

Ive also fitted a badass cover to protect the ECU and throttle sensors:-

ccd6f895.jpg

And bought one of these to protect the engine bay:-

showercap1.jpg

My advice to you is when its dry take the cover off dry with a hairdryer - Check plugs for corrosion - Swap if necessary and cover everything with WD40.

She seems a bit better after a very liberal dosing of WD40. Ive also arranged a meet with my friendly mechanic to give evrything the once over...plugs/dizzie/etc.

Anyone have any ideas what the 'clicking' noise is near the airfilter. It seems pretty constant. I noticed it this AM when she was cold.

Thinking about investing in a shower cap...my arse is soaking :)

I don't know too much about car engines and will hopefully have my first Elise tomorrow, so I may be wrong about this.

However, if the Elise has an aluminium engine, the clicking may just be the noises made as the metal cools. If you stand next to an air cooled bike like a Harley Davidson after the engine is cut, it would frighten the life out of you if you were not aware of the above. This is particularly worse in cold weather.

Likewise, presuming the Elise has a rev free and high revving engine, any problems with the battery will affect the whole ignition circuit. You did say it struggled to start, but did you mean struggles to turn over?

Batteries like to be worked and going from full charge to almost full and back is fine. ( A good run once a week, for example )

If the battery gets close to full discharge before re-charge ( this can sometimes only need 3-4 weeks in this weather ) it does not like this at all. Its life is seriously lessened.

I have a bike charger which charges, tests and keeps the battery 100% charged. I'm sure there must be car types, too. A very worthwhile investment.

I think Halfords will give you a free check, although I'm too cynical to trust these places, especially as their business depends on battery sales.

As I said, all of that is based on motorcycle engines but as the Elise has motorcyle performance, it may well be relevant.

thanks jondude but the 'clicking' noise was heard this morning, after the car had been still all night. Its also too regular to be heat related

Shes going to a garage tomorrow so will also get the battery checked out. Pretty sure it was the moisture TBH.

Goodluck on getting the Elise, hope to see some pics online soon :)

mine fell onto 3 cylinders one night on my way home from work, only under load, it returned to 4 when on part throttle, fortunately.

winter is setting in, the best thing you can do is buy some new plugs and leads. you dont want to end up stranded in the middle of winter in the pissing rain.

i think the plugs and leads came to 44 quid for mine, and its never missed a beat since

DON'T put WD40 on the leads, as it just seals the water in and will still arc. wipe them dry if you must do anything.

Paul

All sorted! Just got back from the garage and had the dizzy cap and rotor arm replaced. Is it worth getting some ignition sealant to stop this happening again. Will halfords stock it?

thanks guys (& gals)

Archived