litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

I’m liking the new Alpine A110.

KurtB

I really like the original A110 Berlinette, but the new incarnation is floating my boat too. The engineering team seem to be passionate about adding lightness and keeping it practical. It’s a car I’d love to see in the flesh, and the reviews are very positive. 

I’ve elected not to post an image, as there are some angles that don’t look so great in 2D, so I’m keen not to sully it for you all. 

Its looking like a more practical,  better finished Lotus to me, and those seats look fab (I’m a sucker for quilting)!

What do you guys think?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep the new A110 is floating my boat too.. and Evo's review is very positive about the car. I've linked the Autocar's Youtube review which includes a look at the chassis with lovely extruded Aluminium and bonded panels. stiff anti-roll bars and well damped suspension, lightness, small and well balanced... Its ticking a lot of boxes but I hope they bring a manual out too! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rarJj9ZibpM

Yes i agree.  In concept it is terrific and it looks nice too.  It is very very Lotus and similar to what i think Gales wants the new Elise to be, albeit the Elise will be a soft top.

I still don't understand why makers of this type of car don't offer a manual gearbox though.

I think it was all explained by technical director Twohig in one of the videos Dean, the performance is more accessible to 95% of drivers using the DCT. I agree more skilled drivers will definitely prefer a manual. I'm in the former category, so it's not upsetting me. I've been sniffing around Cayman's earlier this year, and the PDK would have been my weapon of choice.

I suspect that the real reason is to do with cost but they won't admit it.  By that i mean they have to engineer a paddle shift anyway as most people want them (not old giffers like  me) and it would costs way too much to engineer and test etc a manual as well. Just think how much work is involved in engineering a gear linkage, stick and so on that will be slagged off if the shift quality isn't perfect.

I think I'm right in saying the pdk box is a lot heavier than a manual which puts me off too.

The 'performance is more accessible ...' line is rubbish really - these cars are about enjoyment not outright lap times.  They are road cars after all.  What matters to me is the sensation and satisfaction of driving a nice thing well, and a nice heel and toe gearchange is a big part of that.

They have never hidden the fact of the auto gearbox choice, it is a cost issue, they could not develop 2 gearbox, so they picked the dct as porsche sells more pdk anyway. I think when they say accessible, they mean you can focus on the handling more, without focusing on the gearing, so pretty logical. Almost no one knows how to heel and tow, and 80 percent of the people claiming they do, always have a wrong timing .. 

Well it's good to hear they are honest about it.  I think it's a shame though that the majority of people nowadays who have fifty k to spend on a 'drivers car' prefer a paddleshift.  But maybe I'm just an old fart.

I think it’s simply the march of progress Dean. A clutch is just something else to have to think about, and when autos can do it all quicker, smoother and with more efficiency, then why would you ‘need’ a third pedal? Much like ignition advance and retardation has been taken away from the driver, double declutching went too thanks to that pesky synchromesh. 

I took an F Type to Spa this year, and it’s auto was fabulous, particularly through areas of heavy traffic. I’m guilty of having dumb feet, I can’t heel and toe, so I’m really liking the idea of clutchless changes, double clutches and lack of slush boxes. 

I do however see why some would prefer a manual. 

Do it Kurt. I'm really liking them. Like the original and I think this is one of those cases where they have re-done it it and done it very well - for the modern world.

It looks as though it's fun and is a sense of occasion to drive it - but it's also practical enough to use as an everyday car if you had to.

A lot of the youtube car vloggers have been driving it and waxing lyrical about it. They drive all sorts of much more expensive stuff. One guy was amazed that it felt more 'special' than his Cayman. I'm not! Porsches are well built and very capable cars but to me they are not 'special' at all. This new A110 is. But I guess if they carry on making them as standard production run that feeling of being special my go a little.

Archived