litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Now that's what I call an engine!

Dr H

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 01:56, KurtB said:

That's correct Leigh, they are the main spar pintle pins. They're tapered bolts that attach the wings to the carry through spar which in turn attaches to frame 5 of the fuselage. In short, the main structural area of any Spitfire. Frame 5 also normally holds the manufacturers identity to that particular airframe, very often hidden between skins. If you've got one in your loft, frame 5 can be very valuable! 

Rocketeer (glad to see your username back :-)), the wing root fairings have been removed, allowing access to pintle pins, coolant ducting, control runs and extensive electrical cabling. 

Just thinking about all this lot again makes me miss it. I so enjoy explaining the engineering to others, it's all a bit clunky on a forum. (And I'm in fear of coming across as an anorak).

I understand what I am looking at now ! the wing root fairings had been removed - thanks for that. 

Never worry about being an "anorak". Just have a look round this forum, there is loads of fascinating and detail discussions about all aspects of engineering. People who really understand things are always worth listening to, and just how good is it to understand Spitfires !  I am sure we could spend many happy hours poring over a set of 1940s drawings and the hardware - I might even be able to understand the technology. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit, I've just spend all week on holiday reading the Ben Rich "skunkworks", book which tells the storey of him and Kelly Johnson on the u2, f117 and my favourite plane the Sr71. 

Absolutely incredible feats of engineering that were conceived and achieved in the 50s & 60s! 

I've now moved on to sr71 tales from all pilots and RSO's...... Incredible 

You're so right Kieran, amazing now, never mind for the time. Read about the Bell X-15. Just check its speed against that of a rifle bullet! Amazing times! Oh, and Concorde is still unrivalled, that was amazing too! 

It was a time that we threw loads of cash at innovation and sometimes innovated just for the sake of it! Loads of crazy stuff developed in the 50s and 60s. Then politicians got more and more involved and it all went tits up :(

Look at the V-fleet. Commission 3 different designs! That would never happen now. We can't commission a single design unless we partner with other countries.

If anyone wants to borrow the book your more than welcome... 

What's incredible is they built 2 f117 nighthawk prototypes with a 70 man team in 1 year for $31million

Exactly right though... It was the political implications of changing governments that killed it all...... 

When this comes back on iPlayer (it does every so often) watch it if you haven't already. Makes you realise just how far ahead of the rest of world we really were.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m81f5

Inspiring yet depressing in equal measures :rolleyes:

I'm about to start reading this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HFF7R22/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o02_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should have some interesting tales in it hopefully.

Archived