litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Nlc - Lister Bell Stratos Build Thread

Dr H

I suspect you already know this but, you'll always have some problems when building a car with non standard parts, its character building. ;)

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Reg said:

I suspect you already know this but, you'll always have some problems when building a car with non standard parts, its character building. ;)

I know it's not going to be straightforward but I do expect parts that are sold as direct fit replacement to be just that!

• 2 weeks later...

No great progress to report.

Finished the heater controls

33559812264_b059cd41be_c.jpg

Driveshaft paint wasn't great n the inner CVs so dismantled them and had them powder coated. Now reassembled

34314360752_028d1abe8f_c.jpg

34314362052_4ea1036540_c.jpg

34343952121_1fe2467b18_c.jpg

Header tank powder coated black and a Stant radiator cap added

34089293670_a41c015f41_c.jpg

34089294850_78da46e7aa_c.jpg

Ordered the dash gauges that will look like this:

Stradale_binnacle1.jpg

But mine will have the speedo and tacho on the RHS in front of the steering wheel. The original cars had them to the side of the dash with the gauges in front of the steering wheel.

Also ordered the whole interior today. Will be like this with their new 'Stradale' seats. Grey alcantara dash and door cards, black carpets (probably) and tan seats - as per the original road cars. Head lining and roll cage trim will also be alcantara on mine - they are usually vinyl.

34225733202_5084c78040_c.jpg

Oh and even though I haven't built it yet the upgrades have already started lol.gif. LB now offer a full alloy rad with a 50mm core. So I've ordered one of them!

Quotes for paint incomming. Had one already, looks like it's going to be £4-5k including trimming body, gapping and cutting holes for handles lights etc. tsk.gif

On 22 April 2017 at 00:33, Dr H said:

I know it's not going to be straightforward but I do expect parts that are sold as direct fit replacement to be just that!

Sounds like a Monkey Wrench Racing moment. Massively untrustworthy wankers. Anyhoo ;-) keep it coming buddy...

Hi mate been going through your blog and have to say I'm massively impressed by your work. Just started to build one for somebody a couple of weeks back and wondered if you wouldn't mind if I could pick your brains on some of the things? I promise I won't be a pain. 

Custom made valve spring caps collected by the engine builder today and he's back on the build from tomorrow. So hopefully it won't be too long now. Let's just hope the rest of it goes back together OK......

In the meantime there's not much been going on. Ordered all the stickers. White vinyl 'Stratos's' for the top of the doors, 'Bertone' for the rear pillars and HF and flag for front of the doors. Also 'Lancia' for the nose in front of the lights and the 'Lancia' HF and 'Strato's' foil stickers for the rear.

34518826022_5936d67659_c.jpg

33870729583_cf1ab17212_c.jpg

34680552335_dce253dc3a_c.jpg

34680538755_ddca2b9a8a_c.jpg

Made some new earthing points and the main chassis one gets covered by the body and you'd really struggle to access it if you ever had to at a later date. The new ones are accessible from under the dash when you drop the panel that holes all the fuses etc.

34518819162_7a32d78531_c.jpg

Removed the old (but never used lol.gif ) radiator ready for the new 50mm all alloy one. Swapped my old Alfa ECU, engine loom and a solid flywheel for it - so haven't actually had to part with any cash, for once!

34518673232_d876157f55_c.jpg

Next step is to get the new rad in and then the engine!

8 hours ago, rimmer said:

Hi mate been going through your blog and have to say I'm massively impressed by your work. Just started to build one for somebody a couple of weeks back and wondered if you wouldn't mind if I could pick your brains on some of the things? I promise I won't be a pain. 

Feel free to drop me a PM. Happy to talk via email or on the phone :)

I should have got someone to build mine for me - would have been much easier! :lol:

59 minutes ago, Dr H said:

Feel free to drop me a PM. Happy to talk via email or on the phone :)

I should have got someone to build mine for me - would have been much easier! :lol:

Thanks mate very much appreciated.  Let me give you a bit of background so you know you're not dealing with a nutter. My name's Richard  50 year's old and originally from Austria. Currently working as a marine engineer on the south coast but spent 15 years as a race mechanic mostly in what's now called GP2 before that. I'd like to think I know quality when I see it hence the reason of me following your blog. Your work screams quality and your attention to detail is a joy to behold. 

BTW I don't think you should have your car built by someone else at all mate:)

6 hours ago, Dr H said:

Hi Richard

Thanks for your kind words! I'll drop you a pm with my email and mobile.

Which kit are you building, LB or Hawk?

LB and got to say quite.pleased with the overall quality. Couple of little things though...

2 hours ago, rimmer said:

LB and got to say quite.pleased with the overall quality. Couple of little things though...

Yeah there are a few things that I've replaced / done different as I've gone along. I did start a list of issues I've found as I've build it, can let you have that. Only a few bits really.

Engine almost there. Bit of an issue fitting the thermostat housing as since the heads have been machined the distance between the water take offs from the heads has reduced (by about 1mm) so the thermostat housing doesn't fit wall.gif. A fix is being worked out.....

Anyway, it's looking good

34587886192_daefe25089_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Van booked for Thursday to collect engine and gearbox.

New (to replace unused new) all ally rad fitted.

Painted the cooling fins with heat dissipating rad paint

34903821081_588eb50827_c.jpg

Refit fans

34225109243_2e0e5c09ca_c.jpg

Stick back on car

34871528992_7dc7feca7c_c.jpg

34903838591_6855308f18_c.jpg

Right! I finally have an engine!!!!!!

Collected it today. Crap photos as I've just bunged in on the floor in the garage in front of the chassis. Will take some proper ones once I get it moved.

35142812976_34c10c7424_c.jpg

35182754095_96c3c79fdb_c.jpg

34796398010_da7791ab83_c.jpg

34796402890_cdfa291d3f_c.jpg

34373602883_d502a532c5_c.jpg

35142815516_e5afbf2853_c.jpg

Here's what's been done:

Complete strip down
Degrease, clean, wash vapour blast block, heads, sump cam covers etc etc. Clean and decrease all internals and check for wear.

Hone bores (no wear so no need to re-bore)

New mains, thrusts and big ends
New piston rings
Full new engine gasket set
Full new cambelt kit with all new pullies, idlers and tensioner
New water pump (metal impeller)
Re-manufactured replacement starter motor
Re-manufactured replacement aircon pump
Re-manufactured replacement alternator
Re-manufactured replacement oil pump
New thermostat and housing
New crank pulley
New aux drive belt

New Alfa GTA clutch kit
New 6.5 kg lightweight solid flywheel custom made by TTV

Mill heads 1.2mm to raise compression to 11.2:1
Valves reground
Piper reground cams (slightly more list and more duration than standard)
New hydraulic tappets
New uprated valve springs
Custom made valve spring caps (as OE ones wouldn't fit the uprated springs even though they should have!)

All bolted back together once the whole bottom end was dynamically balanced by Andrews Precision.

Uprated on-plug coils (Audi units) and required connectors

New sensors:
Cam
Crank
Knock (x2)
Bosch LSU 4.9 Lambda and LSU 4.9 connector
Water Temp
Reverse switch
Oil pressure switch

New OE Lower Cam belt covers
New OE Upper cam belt covers
New OE Cambelt cover
m7 stainless cap heads (x22) plus washers

Fumoto Drain Valve
New oil filter
New platinum spark plugs

Just waiting to take delivery of the custom CNC machined ITB manifolds form Alitech and The gearbox back from rebuild and I can dry fit in the chassis and run the oil cooler and fuel lines etc.

Dry fit will also check the exhaust fit and once happy the manifolds will go for performance white Zircotec ceramic coating.

Total cost?

Erm...............let's just say fucking mad. blink.gif

Archived