• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Midlands Lotus Owners Club (MLOC)

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sanctum

Stack Illumination Or Lack There-Of

3 posts in this topic

As a newbie to the MLOC forums, I will take the usual stance of asking a stupid/dificult/irritating question and expect everyone to instantly drop everything and help wink.png

But seriously... Having just bought my first Lotus (a little S1 elise) I'm really looking forward to being a part of the Lotus community and meeting a few of you all at track days. But before I can do that I need to fix a couple of small problems on my new track mule.

First up is the Stack. I'm assuming the sticky/sluggish speedo and rpm needles is fairly common. I'm putting it down to lack of use (27k miles in 15 years) and expect them to free up. More urgent is the lack of illumination. All the warning lights work, but there is no illumination when the side or main beam headlight button is engaged. On the plus side, the headlight buttons do light up correctly, so I would hope it's just a bulb gone in the stack itself.

If anyone has a wiring diagram of the stack unit or has been round this loop before, a bit of learning prior to pulling the unit out would be most welcome.

After searching for "Tachometer" instead of "Stack", I may have spotted that I have dimmed the illumination by accident using the little push button on the steering cowl. Not having read the manual, I didn't know that function existed, but I did hold that button in for a few seconds the other day trying to reset the trip.

Can't wait to get home and find out I don't have a broken stack unit! (or do :S)

After searching for "Tachometer" instead of "Stack", I may have spotted that I have dimmed the illumination by accident using the little push button on the steering cowl. Not having read the manual, I didn't know that function existed, but I did hold that button in for a few seconds the other day trying to reset the trip.

Can't wait to get home and find out I don't have a broken stack unit! (or do :S)

Hello and welcome to Mloc!

S1's aren't the brightest of things anyway, or at least mine isn't.

As for the sluggish speedo try the speed reset details can be found through the seloc wiki for this.

If the speed dial is still sluggish/bouncy try cleaning/readjusting the wheel speed sensor on the rear pax side hub

• Similar Content

• By IROC
      I have a challenge with the readout of the temperature and I could use some advice.

Warm engine gives a readout of 87 C, lights on then 92 C, heater on then 98 C and then radio will then also start engine fan, as it get over 100 C in the display.

Good ideas? Experience?

Regards

Iroc

• By frog
      Hi everyone,

this is driving me mad over the last year. On my s1 elise I have a electrical problem....

After I have turned off the engine and removed the keys the stack dash lights stay on, they also flash brigh/dim, the revs and speedometer also light up along with the the digital screen, the lights come on intermitenly and are causing the battery to go flat.... Other than that the car run's great and everything works as normal (including the Dash) when the car is started....

This was original posted without any soluition:(
      http://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/topic/20956-urgent-help-needed/

Has anyone got a cure for this !!! Help would be much appreciated.

thanks
    • By Roy_D
      Lello Ladies and gents,

I have a 'Stack' 'Monza' IP from either a S1 or S2 Elise and I would dearly like some help - Apologies for the following.. I would love to graft the beautiful Lotus IP into my kit car. [it is NOT my intention to offend anyone here].

I have 2 areas to consider:

1. How can I get the indicator light on the IP to work? (feeds / Pins required?)
      2. Which (Lotus) sensors will I need to get the correct readings for the Lotus IP to work? (Not including Engine management)

Lotus have basically said that they do not wish to help (and why should they) and Stack have referred me to Lotus.

Below are my findings so far - the IP looks just beautiful when powered up ... but alas, it is on my work-bench! I have looked and looked over the internet and I just can't find the detail I am looking for.

Description
      Pin
      Wire Col. Main/Stripe
      Connection Details
      12V Battery Feed
      A1
      Purple No Stripe
      Continous Battery Positive Feed Through Fuse (7.5A ?)
      Ground
      A2
      Black (Heavy Wire)
      To Chassis or Battery Negative
      12V Ignition Feed
      A3
      Green No Stripe
      Ignition Switch Positive Feed Fused
      Tacho Input
      A4
      White/Black
      5V Out, Switch to Chassis Through Diode, 2 pulses per Rev
      Speedo Input
      A5
      Yellow No Stripe
      5V Out, Switch to Chassis Through Diode, 400 pulses per MPH
      Temp Gauge
      A6
      Green/Blue
      Resistance to Chassis, Short Cold, Open Hot
      Fuel Gauge
      A7
      Light Green/Black
      Resistance to Chassis, Short Empty, 150R = 21Litres
      Fuel Sender Voltage
      A8
      Red/Yellow
      Feed to top of Fuel Sender? Not Used
      Main Beam Light
      A9
      Blue/White
      12V Input to Light LED
      Battery Warning
      A10
      Brown/Yellow
      To Chassis Through Switch for LED On
      Brake Warning
      B1
      Black/White
      Oil Warning
      B3
      White/Brown
      Engine Fault Light
      B5
      White/Purple
      Panel Illumination
      B6
      Red/Orange
      To Chassis Through Switch for LEDs Off
      Tacho LED
      B7
      Purple/Pink
      12V Input to Light LED
      Panel LED Adjust
      B9
      Red/White
      To Chassis to Set Brightness, Also Resets Trip Counter
      Rear Fog Light
      B10
      Green/White
      To Chassis Through Switch for LED Off
      B2
      Unknown
      B4
      Unknown
      B8
      Unknown

I hope that the above does not cause offense to anyone - the findings above are my personal (Laymen-esque) thoughts.. please do not take them as gospel (and blow up your own IP's).

If someone has any suggestions (constructive please!) then they will be gratefully received. (yes, I will have an Elise one day.. but until then, the kit car is my little toy)

Thanks and regards,
      Roy
    • By the DustRoom
      Went out in the car yesterday; battery didn't have enough charge to start it - cue lots of clicking.

Jump leads and starter battery later and she's fired up and burbling away in the garage.

I set off to find that the rev counter, speedo and LCD not working; the seatbelt light that usually goes off after a few seconds is lit constantly.

Turn the ignition off; back on - all usual lights work but the speedo, rev counter and LCD are still non-functional and the seatbelt light remains lit again.

I take it out and use my sat nav as a speedo whilst I get to my meeting; after the meeting all is the same.

This happened once before and after a few minutes of the key being out my mileage switched to kilometres but everything else went back to normal working order it would seem.

This time it's having none of anything.

Is there any connections or fuse that could cause this or is it fucked?

Got a tour of Lotus next month so will have to get it fixed or rely on OBDII port for functions until its sorted.

Chap on SELOC had a similar issue and thought it was an earthing problem - anyone know what I should be looking at?