litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Exhaust Flexi Pipe

DeanB

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I knew that Brian when mine went. The stainless replacement is dear and it's not a last forever part cos the flexi will go again at some point. Welding a new bit in seems like a good plan.

trick is to do it before it is too knackered, once it falls in two you need to be able to offer it onto the car to get the relationship of the two pipes correct. If you get it while it still hangs together, then you can lay it in a piece of angle iron, tack weld it to maintain the relationship/length, then cut out the old flexi and weld in the new one, then cut it off the angle iron and weld the back which would have been obscured whilst it lay in the angle iron.

there are good and bad replacement flexis, the better ones have an inner spiral wound section which carries the heat as much as anything (it isn't gas tight) then there is a bellows section (which is gas tight but isn't great with high temps) and finally the outer braid. most are stainless anyway, but the poor quality ones don't have the inner spiral wound section so the heat makes the bellows go brittle and crack quite quickly.

the last one i got from this vendor http://www.ebay.co.u...cat=0&_from=R40 and the quality was top notch - especially for the money, quick delivery too if i remember correctly.

Brian

Thanks for the info guys. Btw I have a 2002 elise s2

Brian, do you know what size flexi to buy from the eBay link?

On another note Dean, what is our stock piping size 2.25" or 2.5" , I'm planning to get a hi-flow cat and single exit side muffler.

I was looking at purchasing either the boe silent touch 2.5" (it's for I'm guess 2005 onwards as USA didn't offer rover-k)

Or 2bular, which offer 2.25" the website states you lose torque if you go bigger than that on a rover.

Thx

Off the top of my head I'm afraid I don't, probably 2" and 200 long if I were to guess, though it may be bigger diameter.

they're easy enough to measure, but have to get the undertray off.

Brian

Thanks for the info guys. Btw I have a 2002 elise s2

Brian, do you know what size flexi to buy from the eBay link?

On another note Dean, what is our stock piping size 2.25" or 2.5" , I'm planning to get a hi-flow cat and single exit side muffler.

I was looking at purchasing either the boe silent touch 2.5" (it's for I'm guess 2005 onwards as USA didn't offer rover-k)

Or 2bular, which offer 2.25" the website states you

lose torque if you go bigger than that on a rover.

Thx

I don't know the diameter sorry. If you need/want the flexi pipe, cat and back box have you thought about getting a full system from Jim Valentine at 2bular? including manifold?

I would give him a ring. He is very helpful apparently and I only hear good stuff about his products.

At this point, im thinking a cut and replacement job for the flexi will be feasible.

I'm based in Australia, shipping alone is very dear not the mention our currency has turned to shit.

hmmm.

I hear Jim makes quality exhausts (although i also hear the occasional timely email responses/shipping issues)

Archived