litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Should I Chip It?

bermudabob

I was talking to Mike from Horizons about what I can do to get a little bit more poke out of my S1 without breaking the bank.

I've got the exhaust, Hurricane & decat - he suggested a new chip for the Engine management system. Its about £250-300, so is affordable.

Anyone got one? if so what type and are they any good?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to answer this on the basis that it isn't a Friday afternoon windup....

First off, I haven't seen a full chip for the std S1 ECU. They may well exist but I haven't seen one, although I've not researched. The only ones I have seen are crap ones which just distort temp/press readings so that the ECU adds a bit more spark then intended. Essentially this is only half a job. If you do get a fully remapped chip then you may be lucky and have it mapped for a similar setup, but chances are you will not. Therefore you may get a 3/4 job, or you may get very little out of it. However, the spec will be fixed (or expensive to change).

In my opinion, if you are going to do it then do the job properly and replace the ECU (Emerald being the most cost effective). You will be able to map the engine for exactly what it wants in all cases. If you change a bit then you can remap. Also, the aftermarket ECU gives you arguably better fault diagnosis because you can both watch the channels and log them.

So, you can pay £200->£300 for a chip, or £600 for an ECU that will suit any mod you do to the K-series (or indeed power a Duratec or Audi if you went that route). In fact, if you bought an Emerald and then decided to sell it in the near future then you wouldn't lose much on it either as residuals on them are high. The price doesn't include mapping, but there's a very good chance that someone will send you a map close to your spec.

In my mind although its more initial outlay, its a no-brainer. If you are going to modify maps then buy a proper ECU and be done with it.

Cheers,

Chris

PS If it is a friday windup then I'll send round the mob for wasting my time :drive::clap:

Nope not a wind up - I know nothing about chips and what they do/don't do... looks like a waste of time from the consensus here though...

So, out of interest, how much is the work on Cams or Porting? And does it affect reliability?

At this rate I'm going to end up with a bloody full PTP job...

No, I don't know about the VVC options unfortunately.

Bob, DVA appears to be a good starting point for some more serious power hikes. http://members.aol.com/DVAPower/ . The K13A kit is a good start, but you are looking at £1200->£1300 fully fitted including verniers (which will help ensure optimal performance and smooth idling/pickup). To be honest when you break down the costs it is extremely good value, its just still a significant outlay. However, the performance will be a big step.

Reliability-wise 160bhp appears to be very safe with the standard bottom end.

If you have done exhaust, Hurricane & decat & never had the chip done I recon you would be as well off getting the chip you have linked to a test machine & getting them to re-map your existing one to complement the existing mods.

Essentially you have made the engine much more breathable than the chip was set up for so a bit of tinkering may be all thats needed to maximise the work you have already done.

BHP figures before & after would be of interest Bob :drive:

If you have done exhaust, Hurricane & decat & never had the chip done I recon you would be as well off getting the chip you have linked to a test machine & getting them to re-map your existing one to complement the existing mods.

Essentially you have made the engine much more breathable than the chip was set up for so a bit of tinkering may be all thats needed to maximise the work you have already done.

BHP figures before & after would be of interest Bob  :drive:

OK, now I'm confused - Some people say yes, some say no...

Maybe I should start a poll...

(Oh yeah - this is my 600th post! Yay!)

BHP figures before & after would be of interest Bob  :D

OK, now I'm confused - Some people say yes, some say no...

Maybe I should start a poll...

(Oh yeah - this is my 600th post! Yay!)

I would say to anyone trying to sell me a chip that I want an estimate (upper & lower) of what the chip will give me with pre & post fitting tests and if thats worth £2-300 then get it.

If not then dont.

I would like to see the faces of the people you ask for quotes & terms of non-payment or replacement if you dont get the power expected out the chip. Its sbout time people who quote power figures stand by their claims.

I wouldnt mind betting that with the work you have done the best you will get is another 2-3BHP but that said a remap may well improve responsiveness hence faster/better to drive.

Them there little torques are what we should all be striving for :clap:

How confused is Bob now everyone? HA HA!

Get sloshed at the weekend and make a decision that you cannot blame yourself for Bob :drive:

Archived