litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

New Tyres Fitted, Made A Mess Of The Wheels

Mr_Belowski

:)

Anyone else experienced this?

I've just had new rear Advans fitted to my S1 111s by Sheffield's main Lotus dealer and they've made a right royal mess of the wheels. Before they got it, the rears were in very good shape - the passenger side had a 2 inch kerb strike mark on it, and the driver's was almost perfect (except for some marks where the wheel nuts go).

Now the passenger side has 3 dents in the top of the flange bit, and there's a load of very deep scratches running about 1/3 of the circumference on the lip of the rim - like big kerb strike marks. The driver's side has a couple of simlar dents, 2 big chips out of the spokes, and similar (but slightly smaller) scuff marks on the outside of the rim.

I pointed this out to the service manager who didn't seem too suprised - he said I'll have to bring the car back in on Monday and their "cosmetic guy" can take a look and see what they can do, but I've no idea if they expect me to pay for this service (and should I trust them anyway?).

I'm flippin furious - I wish I'd taken pictures of the rims before I took it, but it never occurred to me.

I've not got a leg to stand on, have I? My word against theirs and all that. I washed them a couple of weekends back and was amazed at their condition (they're 8 years old). Now they look like the wheels on the company pool cars ;)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tell them that you don't want to resort to blackmail but if you dont sort it out NOW i will blacken your name on every elise forum out there !! tell him that's where you heard about them to get the tyres and that is also where you will pass information on.

Blackmail is good :)

tell them that you don't want to resort to blackmail but if you dont sort it out NOW i will blacken your name on every elise forum out there !! tell him that's where you heard about them to get the tyres and that is also where you will pass information on.

Blackmail is good  ;)

Well I already posted this on Nyloc and Seloc so i'm not far off blackening their name on all the Elise forums :)

SpoonZ, yeah, I did. I stupidly thought that only the dealers would be able to get Advans but that's bollocks :(

I can imagine you must be gutted. Threaten to send a letter to Lotus to complain about their dealer service. I know it,s nothing to do with them but might work. Get them refurbed and send them the bill, asking for at least part payment. It,s got to be worth a go. It,s another example of why i go to Horizon. They reshod all mine and they come back the same as when they went :) Best of luck in sorting it.

what they did to the wheels has got me wondering what other suprises I'll find under the car - I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't use the right jacking points.

A letter to Lotus is a good idea - ta for that, I'll mention it to them on Monday

Am I over-reacting? They weren't mint when I took them in, but they certainly weren't as bad as this. They're full of rubber so look more obvious than they'll look when clean, but they're still pretty bad IMO

nearside_rim.JPG

offside_rim.JPG

Your beef is with the dealer - not Lotus. I don't think a letter will help as they won't give two hoots.

Have you tried cleaning off the rubber marks to see what you're left with?

Your beef is with the dealer - not Lotus.  I don't think a letter will help as they won't give two hoots.

Have you tried cleaning off the rubber marks to see what you're left with?

I don' t expect Lotus to actually *do* anything - they didn't mess up my wheels. But I'd hope they'd show at least a passing interest when a franchise dealer makes such a mess. Or then again, maybe not

As for the rubber marks, I cleaned the wheels after I took the pictures. The marks in the pictures aren't just rubber on the side of the wheel - they're rubber that's settled into the groves and scuffs. The scuffs are just as big when clean, only not black of course. Less obvious but no less annoying

Well, they've offered to put it right for £50 (after a bit of haggling). Hopefully this will be a proper renovation job and not some half-arsed touch up.

I still think they should have done it for nowt cos they messed them up in the first place, but I suppose I have to accept that I've no proof of this and be at least a little relieved that they've not told me to bugger off. Assuming they do a good job, of course...

Call me an old cynic but i would be worried they are taking them to the cheapest place possible. Can you get them done and take them the bill and £50 ? Otherwise go over them really well before accepting them and paying the £50. Good luck, what a PITA :D

Jim

I wouldn't give them ANY money to put right what they have damaged.

They did my rears recently - no damage but they did leave me without a speed sensor

fitted over the weekend.

Of course I asked them to pay for all the fines from the scameras

I got as a result of them leaving the sensor unhooked!!

BTW you have a PM.

Regards Basil

Archived