litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Rain / Damp = Sick S1

Ruxpin

How do people who park their S1's outside get on with the rain / damp?

Ours is usually garaged but when it's left out in the rain it misfires and runs like a bag of s**t for about 5 mins till it warms up and dries out.

Is this a T.A.D.T.S. and you have to just put up with it or is their a solution?

Unsurprisingly this caught me out at the weekend with all the rain. Made the mistake of parking up after a short trip during which it was misfiring. When I went to restart it at midnight after more rain it didn't want to play - had the AA half way out but their estimated arrival of 2hrs got me fiddling with it a bit harder and got it to go in the end.

At 1am in the pissing rain I was wishing I had bought a porker - all was forgiven after a short blast the following day though.... :P

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine lives outside. Only had it for a month, but in that time it's had a few serious soakings. It's not been troubled at all by them - starts straight away and runs like it does in the dry with no need to dry it off. Even when I open the boot in the rain and it dumps a load of water on the engine it still runs fine

Halfords Ignition sealant arount hte edges of the spark plug cover, and round the edges/wires of the outside of the distributor cap (you don't need to remove either as long as it's bone dry at the time).

Leave it to set for a while before driving, and repeat every month or so..

It works pretty well,..

also, old rubber car mats over the engine covers (when it has cooled down a bit of course) is my back up plan for when it looks like it's gonner really piss down and I'm going to be away from the car for a while.....

As for a cover, I got mine for when I can't get to my garage - it's from Argos, and was £20 .. Really thick, and lined too.. Just remember to not put a cover on when the car is wet.. - it fooks the paint apparently

My S1 lived outside and was a bu££er if it had been raining,tried the WD/ignition stuff approach but it kept coming back,the kind folks at Nick Whale put a new dissy cap on it and I never had the problem again.

hth

Regards

Jon

also, old rubber car mats over the engine covers (when it has cooled down a bit of course) is my back up plan for when it looks like it's gonner really piss down and I'm going to be away from the car for a while.....

Heh I wouldnt do that, I used to on my old car until I forgot to take it off and the thing was smouldering away when I noticed!

Much better to fit the S2 cam cover for the engine, only takes a little bit of cutting to make it fit, think it was £20 to get from a dealer. That with the ignition sealer seems to do the trick.

Archived