litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Happy Days

Troisieme

Following months of waiting and deliberating, finally got to pick up the new car on Friday.Having only been driving a 1.1 Corsa for the last five years, it's certainly a different feeling! Slightly disappointed that my only attempt to drive with the top down so far has ended in deluge disaster, but never mind.

The only thing that is bothering me so far is... speed bumps. Loughborough, like most places these days, is covered with the buggers, and whilst I have so far managed to take convoluted routes to avoid them, at some point I'm gonna have to approach them. So are there any tips on how to get over them without causing yourself a problem? I have nightmare visions of the elise sitting ineffectively on top of a bump, wheels spinning pointlessly in the air, whilst hordes of onlookers wathc on, laughing.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should not be a problem. It depends which one you have, has it been lowered from standard etc. Mines a standard S1 111s ( 1999 ) which rides at 160, 160 at the moment, you can drive over speed bumps virtually as you would in a normal car. A bit more info would be a help :)

I think you can drop the ride height to 110 before having problems with normal sized speedhumps. Have to watch out for those really nasty ones though, even on standard height, like the bastard of a one going into Loughborough Uni :lol:

Just try not to brake hard before the speed bump or you will dip the nose and have a chance of hitting them. I find a slight acceleration going towards them helps a bit.

My Elise very rarely hit them, Exige does a lot more but you would expect that, get used to not braking so close to the bump and its fine.

I drive my S1 111s (standard ride height) round Loughborough and the surrounding areas a fair bit and haven't had a problem. Slow down before you get to them and drive over at a constant speed and you should be fine

And if you do get grounded, the car's only 700kg - just recruit a few kids to help lift it off :P

When I told my Dad it only weighed 700kg he tried to lift up the rear using the spoiler, and pulled it off on one side :P

he tried to lift up the rear using the spoiler, and pulled it off on one side

LOL! did it break???? :P

Nah, it made a horrible cracking noise and came up about half a centimetre on one side. I pushed it back down and it seems reasonably stable. I was in a rush to get home last night and off to work early today so I'll have a proper look tonight. Shortly before this my mum asked if I was really precious about the car. "Oh no mum, it's just a car", then 2 minutes later I was on the verge of kicking my dad in the danglies :P

Brett,

I have an S1 111s with LSS wich rides at about 130 / 120.

I rairly have problems with speed bumps, I just need to creep over the bigger ones.

If I do hear a "scuff" it's only ever the lower edge of the number plate, which serves as a handy early warning device!

Don't worry too much, but obviously don't fly at them.

Dunc

So are there any tips on how to get over them without causing yourself a problem

i find that if you clench your teeth, narrow your eye lids and think of big bills then when it does hit underneath at least you are ready for it

So are there any tips on how to get over them without causing yourself a problem

i find that if you clench your teeth, narrow your eye lids and think of big bills then  when it does hit underneath at least you are ready for it

like beefy says...brake early to avoid the front lip dipping too low.

I can brake early and still go over at a non-crawling speed when doing this but my nitrons are quite stiff. even so my old s2 stuff which ran about 120/130 were still totally fine.

thinking about clam resprays, constant number plate replacement and even geo re-setting does make me really chill when i see even the smallest non-flat on the road

Archived