litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Sport 160 Tickover (or Lack Of It)

j0hn0

Greetings all,

Despite having the car dynoed recently and all being ok on the power front (165 @7k, nice) I still quite often have the problem of when stopping for lights etc the engine drops straight thru tick over and stalls or coughs and spits at 4-500rpm and needs blipping to keep it running, also when the car has been stopped a few minutes it sometimes starts and ticks over at 2500-3000+ rpm, I know 160s run rough low down which is why it should tick over at 1300 but something else is not quite right with it.

thoughts anybody?, similar experiences?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone had a similar problem on SELOC, cant seem to find the post now though.

165bhp isn't a bad output though! Is this a standard WVTA 160?

Yep that was me (hi matty). You need to get the wiring recall done to fix that. Has something to do with spikes on the ecu power rail during cranking.

Horizon sorted mine perfectly!

Yep that was me (hi matty). You need to get the wiring recall done to fix that. Has something to do with spikes on the ecu power rail during cranking.

Horizon sorted mine perfectly!

Would be interested to know what thats all about, in an interested kind of way ??

As far as I know standard other than sport zorst and a silenced decat pipe, it doesn't like running on a light throttle at less than 2k without kangarooing so unless that's common maybe it's a cam timing thing? dunno?

Same as my old one (decat + factory sports zorst) and I got 158bhp, so 165's a nice figure.

And yes, light throttle under 2k will cause kangeroo'ing...same with all 160's, top end power at the expense of low down drivability. There's a number of options available to sort it, ranging from the Lotus remap + some verniers, through to an Emerald ECU.

Personally I just learned to live with its 'charms' and alter my driving style....so much so, that with all the cars I drive now I'm always in a lower gear than I need to be to try and keep it above 2k all the time! :( Old habits die hard :D

I miss my 160 :D

Same as my old one (decat + factory sports zorst) and I got 158bhp, so 165's a nice figure.

And yes, light throttle under 2k will cause kangeroo'ing...same with all 160's, top end power at the expense of low down drivability. There's a number of options available to sort it, ranging from the Lotus remap + some verniers, through to an Emerald ECU.

Personally I just learned to live with its 'charms' and alter my driving style....so much so, that with all the cars I drive now I'm always in a lower  gear than I need to be to try and keep it above 2k all the time! :( Old habits die hard :D

I miss my 160 :D

Matty - didn't you have a funny prob with the IACV at one point ??

I thought it was the IACV - this was when I was having terrible trouble starting the car when cold...it would start then immediately stall.

Turned out it was just crap battery. Changed it and it was much much better. 160's need more cranking to start, so a good strong battery is essential.

Although the IACV can be problematic too...need to make sure its clean

Archived