Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Fire!

Mark H

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark

There was an official recall about this.

Battery acid eating the brake pipes on air con Exiges ...

Suggest you "mention" that to Nick Whales before they give you the bill ...

Ps - Glad you cought it ...

Just what is a packet of tic tacs goin' to do ??

I wondered who would be first to make that comment :(

BTW on the warranty stuff, I believe Mark has had his floors done, and after mine had that done Lotus refused to pay Nick Whale until I had the fuel filler mod done, it had been, just hadn't been claimed. Lotus are obviously ensuring that all cars have had all recalls done.

I would guess Mark has had the fix, just doesn't seem to have worked, worrying as an Air-con car owner :) .

Ouch ! Glad you're OK - that's always the important thing.

Secondly, though, surely insurance will cover it ? Either yours or Lotus' if there was a recall that you hadn't heard about (assuming they've got your details).

Chris

Mmmmm - The orginal battery has a vent pipe and I found my wiring was getting eaten away with fumes - I changed the battery to a sealed (Bosch) one as well as adding some protection to the wires - but I'm gonna check my brake pipes again !!!

Cheers Andy, will do!

Found this on Exiges.com from your description.

3)Concern : BRAKE PIPE CHAFING

Description : Brake pipe routed along by battery on right hand drive models with air conditioning may rub into battery, causing an acid spill. This could result in damage to the brake pipe and a loss of braking efficiency.

Remedial Action : Examine the brake pipe and battery casing for damage, and reposition brake pipe. Renew brake pipe and/or battery if necessary.

Vehicle Id :

Dont really want to claim on insurance Chris as mine is bad enough as it is!

Hopefully the damage isnt too bad as it never flamed as such and it was out in seconds.

Cant remember exactly what battery it had in, wasnt the original, think the previous owner had it replaced with a sealed RAC one from what I recall.

Also not convinced the brake fluid was boiling over as I'd only driven for a moment, I was busy putting out the fire and so didnt look close at the time, maybe it was pressure pushing it out the top of the cap and bubbling on its way out but it was coming out of the cap.

I did have brakes when I pulled away and I braked hard for the roundabout to get rid of the two weeks of rust on the discs, the brakes were working fine and then the pedal went soft and I lost most of the braking. Not sure how much of my brakes I lost as I was worrying about what that smoke coming into the cabin was at the time!

Dont really want to claim on insurance Chris as mine is bad enough as it is!

Hopefully the damage isnt too bad as it never flamed as such and it was out in seconds.

Fair enough.

At least it was an S1. If not, you'd still be there now trying to undo the fixings of the front access panel..... :P

Archived