litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Replacing Speakers And Clear Back Lights

tonner_notts

want somenew speakers for my car so i can hear the radio, what speakers will fit right in no prob.

has anyone put speakers in the dash etc

also anyone know where i can pick up some clear back lights for the indicator brake i think, the two round ones,

have seen these and they look good on a silver elise,

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eliseparts.com for tweeters that fit in the front of the dash. They also sell the clear/smoked indicators. The front and rear indicators and the brake light lenses are all the same size so can be swapped with each other.

Russ

I put a pair of infinity 652i in mine. they're the 16.5 cm ones so i had to do a tiny bit of cutting to get them to sit right. Stuff some foam (i hacked the innerds of a pillow out, dont tell the missus!!! :lol: ) behind them to take up some of the space. They sound pretty good. Not ear shattering or anything but better than the standard alpines.

Scott will be along shortly to give you some tips, i think he's done a fair bit to his.

:lol:

I think its easier to search for all the info i've done for stereo stuff...

Safe to say there is a lot you can do. Most gains will come from a decent stereo (40 - 50 watts per channel) and a small subwoofer behind the seats.

I do have tweeters in the dash and uprated speakers aswell though.

With that you can clearly hear the music at "above motorway speeds" with the roof off.

Rather than stuff foam in behind the speakers, you're better off to leave the space open, and dynamat the pannel directly behind the speaker. This obviously adds more weight than the foam, but gives the speaker more air to work with behind the cone, and stops the pannel rattling (or maybe not in an elise..)

b :lol:

I thought the idea was to limit the amount of air behind the speaker to make it work better, simular to having subs in boxes. I'm sure i read it on here or the BBS.

I also stuck bits of dynamat to the pod/panel thing to stop it vibrating so much.

I thought the idea was to limit the amount of air behind the speaker to make it work better, simular to having subs in boxes.  I'm sure i read it on here or the BBS. 

I also stuck bits of dynamat to the pod/panel thing to stop it vibrating so much.

Confining the space behind the speaker causes the air to act like a spring. In turn, this reduces how low a speaker can go. That's why some small "hifi" speakers have a port - to stop the air being springy. This doesn't increase the bass response, it just stops it being restricted (make any sense ?).

Having said that, soft wadding material doesn't reduce the air in that space, so won't really reduce the bass response (not as you'd hear in an Elise, anyway).

Adding dynamat should, in theory, help reduce specific panel resonances by changing both their frequency and magnitude. Small panels won't benefit as there's not enough area to really get going with a small (Elise) speaker.

It's a bit like the Rolf Harris thunder board he used to use - if you add dynamat to that (only need small bits), it'll vibrate at a lower frequency, but would also be quieter. That's the sort of panel size you can affect.

EDIT - in summary, I wouldn't bother with either, and would go as far as to challenge anyone to tell one from the other in an Elise whilst being driven. Spend the effort and money in the system itself.

I dynamatted some of the big undertray and diffuser panels to try and reduce some of their noise, but it didn't do much. It's heavy when you forget it's there, though, and drop the panel whilst taking it off ... ;)

Chris

The main aim for small speakers is to get a good seal between the speaker and the pannel its mounted to; you need to stop air from one side getting to the other... ...its pretty small increments of improvement when you get to that level, but if your gonna do it, you might as well do it right :)

Other than that, I think Dobbo said it all :D

Get the right bits (which doesnt mean the most expensive bits) for the car, and that work together, and you can build a good system; I brought a 4-ch Alpine V12 amp from ebay a couple of months ago for £25, so its definitely worth shopping around!..

b :)

it has a k&n air filter with it, dont think im gona bother with an exhaust i like my music to much. thinking of new stereo, amp and speakers as my 1st mod.

where do you wire the amp up, as there is no panels etc to hide the wires is there

Pff...stereos. Still got the Alpine's in mine, save your money and buy a CRP and a sports exhaust if you haven't got one.

Much better soundtrack :D

Here here !!!!

I've had mine for a fortnight now and hardly ever bother with the stereo.

I only use it when I'm in stationary traffic...

...which isn't often :drive:

Archived