litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Standard Or 111s For Everyday Use

tonner_notts

hi im lookin for my 1st lotus elise,

im not sure if i can cope with one as my everyday car but after being taken for a ride in one i dont care, cant believe how they handled.

ive seen a couple, one was a 111s v plate for 10grand, but had 64k miles on the clock,

dont know whether to buy a standard elise with less miles and lose the performance or go for the 111s with high mileage.

worried when i come to sell it on with 90k miles i will struggle to sell it

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Engines are cheap and easy to replace. The bodies and chassis being fibreglass & aluminium respectively are non-corrosive. More significant is the state of the other components. If a 64K miler boasts of being original, it's a euphemism for "shagged". Lots of bits wear out and the difference between a well kept car (with the worn bits systematically replaced/ uprated) and one needing them done could be £2-3K.

I've written enough. Someone else's turn to catalogue the items subject to premature wear.

Oh yes, insurance. 111s is dearer to insure - can you afford the difference?

hi im lookin for my 1st lotus elise,

im not sure if i can cope with one as my everyday car but after being taken for a ride in one i dont care, cant believe how they handled.

ive seen a cpl one was a 111s v plate for 10grand, but had 64k miles on the clock,

dont know whether to buy a standard elise with less miles and lose the performance or go for the 111s with high mileage.

worried when i come to sell it on with 90k miles i will struggle to sell it

If you are patient there are 111s about with lower milage for 10 to 11K. Just keep looking, you should be in the 30 to 40 k milage bracket, for a FSH 111s 1998 and up. Only my opinion mind!

i know about what wears out, steering rack, ball joints etc, dont know to much so would probly have it inspected, it had a service in march so wouldnt they have picked up anything that needs doing etc.

the 111s isnt any more to insure with my company i dont know why but just isnt, they class them all at about the same price.

is it worth waiting for a decent 111s or buy a standard car with a few mods, is there much performance difference

i know about what wears out, steering rack, ball joints etc, dont know to much so would probly have it inspected, it had a service in march so wunt they have picked up anything that needs doing etc.

the 111s isent any more to insure with my company i dont know why but just int they class them all at about the same price.

is it worth waiting for a decent 111s or buy a standard car witha few mods, is there much performance difference

I can't anawer that I have had my 111s for only 3 weeks so I have not used it to anywhere near its full potential yet, I have got to say I love it and smile all the time I drive it. I will never have another type of car after this one. I am sure there are more qualified on here to answer you though.

My advise (FWIW) is to look at the general condition of the car, not the specific mileage. If a car has done 60K miles and been serviced regularly and all the faults fixed promptly then it'll be fine. If you've got a 25K miler where services and fixes have been skimped on then IMHO it'll be a worse car. The engine should be fine in a 60Ker, but check for suspension knocks, worn dampers, baggy steering, corroded exhaust and scruffed trim.

BTW. I reckon a 111s is a really nice car, but so is a well modded std car. So worth looking at both really.

Cheers,

Andy

yes will look at both, are the 111s really that much better though to warranty maybe buying one with more miles in a colour i wouldnt normally buy.

rather then a standard one in the colour i want?

anyone drove both? how much quicker are they, and are they alot better at top end?

Can only say my 111s is great, haven't driven standard though, although I have sat in the seats! Ouch!

I think a 111s with 40K for 11grand seems a bit cheap though, paid 14050 for my 99 with 36000 miles, full mot and front clam respray.

This seems nearer the mark, although may have gone down a bit in the last year? anyone?

I paid £10650 for a 111s with 36k 1999 I did have to travel to find it though (Manchester), few little faults on it but Lotus serviced and cam belt changed at 33k. You get what you pay for I guess oh and a HPI check cost another 25 quid.

that sounds a good deal phil, just been emailed a car for sale, t reg 55k in ruby red with beige and red interior, looks really nice in pic,

want 11k for it,

hopefully something will come of it

or should i wait for one with lower miles?

that sounds a good deal phil, just been emailed a car for sale, t reg 55k in ruby red with beige and red interior, looks really nice in pic,

want 11k for it,

hopefully something will come of it

or should i wait for one with lower miles?

Got to be worth a look! you may haggle the price down a bit too! I looked at 3 others before I bought mine.

Archived