litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Stone Chips

WHOOSH

Had the Exige S2 for 8 monthes now and done approx 3k miles and several runs, but when polishing the car tonight noticed 1 million stone chips. whats the solution to stop this getting any worse? does armourfend really work and how much does it cost as it may be worth applying after a respray at the end of this season. :(:(

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wouldnt bother with armourfend. I have it now but tbh id just keep getting resprays.

do you do a lot of motorway ? In all my ownership i have never had LOADS of stone chips and its always been my daily driver.

Too close to the person in front ?

i wouldnt bother with armourfend.  I have it now but tbh id just keep getting resprays.

do you do a lot of motorway ?  In all my ownership i have never had LOADS of stone chips and its always been my daily driver.

Too close to the person in front ?

How about that clear self adhesive stuff, does that help?

How about that clear self adhesive stuff, does that help?

Yeah, that's Armourfend. :(

does armourfend really work and how much does it cost, as it may be worth applying after a respray at the end of this season. :(  :(

We're glad that we had Armourfend applied to our Exige before we collected it (via Peter Smiths). :(

The front of the car & full sills (inc in front of the rear arches) cost us £500 - Remember that was via P.S. so no doubt you can get it done cheaper elsewhere! :D

And if you mix a tiny bit of 'Colour Magic' in with your polish, it masks the ugly build up, that can collect around the edges of the Armourfend. :)

There is the arguement that you can just keep having it resprayed, but you could get a stone chip on the way home from the paint shop, so we'd opt for Armourfend any day. B)

Elaine&Reg. :)

Mines not to badly chipped and i've done 14K with a mixture of all roads. I am getting hit by stones as i'm on my third windscreen!!

Touch up paint works fine for me on the big chips.

The things that needs respraying on mine are the front black splitter and the leading edge of the black side air intakes

Also amourfend is sometimes really visable and to me its like people that put covers over seats to keep them in good condition for the resale value.

I've bought the car for me to enjoy and look good.

On some colours of cars and if its well applied it is near invisable, in that case I think its good.

But if the front of the car looks like the bit on the front edge of my rear wheel arch I wouldn't have it. It looks dull and is much harder to clean.

Chris

stone_protection.jpg

Also amourfend is sometimes really visable and to me its like people that put covers over seats to keep them in good condition for the resale value.

Really Chris?

If the seat covers in question were transparent and practically invisible then maybe!

Seriously though, I don't think it's the same. My car has been fully Armoufended to keep it looking nice - for me, not for anybody else. In my opinion, stone chips just look dreadful and I'd much rather have a slightly visible transparent film and immaculate paintwork!

I can honestly say that most people that have seen my car do not realise that is Armourfended until I point it out. (maybe they are too busy being blinded by the Chrome orange!)

I think you are right though, it's more visible on some cars than others. Additionally, it seems to me that the paint quality on the S1 varies enormously. Some seem to escape too many chips but I've seen some terrible front clams totally peppered with stonechips. Give me full Armourfend any day!

Dunc

Dave i think your right its from following to close to the lotus in front next time i will have to get in front similar to the first wales run. I was humouring you on the revisited wales run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Archived