litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

To Vx Or Not To Vx

ally

Right guys, its gloves off time. Thinking of changing my S1 soon and am starting to look around . First thoughts are S1 111s, however getting one with low miles and good condition is difficult (plus not sure if i can cope with another S1, getting old and stiff). So then thought S2 111s but IMHO they are quite pricey still and dont perform that differently to a VX 220 (especially one that has been chipped).

I have read through the threads and i understand lack of herritage etc with Vx's but is that enough to make me spend another 5K + difference on a loti.

Went to Vaux dealer today they have an 52 plate VX with all added extras plus DVD Sat nav system and hard top, 2K on clock all singing all dancing for 15K (prob could knock a bit off too).

Some one give me a reason why i shouldnt go to the dark side? :P

Ally

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some one give me a reason why i shouldnt go to the dark side? :P

Because it's the dark side.................

Your head (and therefore wallet) says VX, your heart says Lotus. Which one normally guides you? I'd suggest you've already built your case, why not try it for a while - you can always come back home when you realise it's just not the same....(said with only test drive experience)......

If you're not starry-eyed about Lotus, with value more of a priority, then it's a darn good deal. They lack the final couple of % of feel that you get with an Elise but as an only car, one with ABS and a hardtop, it makes sense.

Spent a day with a load of VX-ers recently on the Plans day. They all talked about value sports car rather than "well I really wanted an Elise but couldn't afford it". The stage 2 VXT's go like stink as well.

Test drobve the Turbo today. Bloody brilliant. Havnt driven the 111R in fareness but it really did have that extra edge. Why cant turbos be standard on all cars?

Ally

While at Horizon the other day, Mike said that recently there had been warnings about the rear subframe cracking on some VXs.

I don't know much more, but worth researching and bearing in mind if you do go for one.

i spoke to a guy that breaks both the elise and VX 220s and he said the VX is a better overall package, he reckons his mate works on production line building a elise then a VX and rates the VX more. But as been stated alot of ppl have the lotus because of history etc

Ally,

if your a balls out, push it to its limit, kind of person then leave it well alone because they aren't as predictable as the Elise,however if your a more sedate kind of guy(like me)then you'll love it.I tried a couple before I changed my last Elise its a fantastic car,but it just seemed to be lacking something....If I'm honest it was probably the badge as much as anything(Snob I am) but it did seem alot heavier than the Elise although its not,residuals are very very poor,cheap to buy even cheaper to sell.Its your money mate, so sadly its all down to you.Try and drive as many as you can they are just like the Elise in that respect some good some not so good,although I'm sure a decent geo will sort most things,and me...well I bought a 111r cost lots more but for me it gave the bigger grin.

All IMHO

Best of luck.

Regards

Jon

Vauxhall are offering that weekend long test drive at the moment... I notice they dont show the VX in the advert, so its prob not on the list, but I bet if you left your elise with them while you took it, and hassled them enough, they would prob let you have a long(-ish) term test drive.. prob a better way of assessing (too many "s" 's Im sure?) the car than the normal 1/2hr test drive

b :blush:

Archived