litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

The Obligatory Usability Question

pip

Hi all,

First I'm not from the Midlands but the community here looks nice and accommodating so I thought

I would be cheeky and post anyway :drive:

I am seriously thinking of taking the plunge and buying an Elise/Exige or a *cough* vx220 *cough*. If I'm honest I have my \

heart set on an Exige I would appreciate it if you would be so kind as to have a stab at some of my questions for me:

1) Could I reasonably expect to commute (the 10 miles or so) to work every day in an S1 Exige?

2) Any idea what my insurance may look like for a 24 year old professional on an S1 Exige?

3) Is it reasonable to use a car on the road and take it to a track day now and again?

4) Will my girlfriend let me get one? :)

Thanks all,

Phil

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy answers:

1) Could I reasonably expect to commute (the 10 miles or so) to work every day in an S1 Exige?

I manage the 60+ mile daily commute in mine so yes, 20k+ miles last year :drive:

2) Any idea what my insurance may look like for a 24 year old professional on an S1 Exige?

I'm 27 and pay just over 1k, so your looking at something similar.

3) Is it reasonable to use a car on the road and take it to a track day now and again?

Dont see any problems with doing that if the car is maintained properly.

4) Will my girlfriend let me get one? smile.gif

heh no chance, mine threatened to dump me if I got an Orange one, just keep at it, she ended up as my fiance last week so she cant hate it that much :)

Hi Phil

1. Yes - you could definitely use it every day on that sort of journey. You just learn to be a bit careful in the wet/snow etc. Don't use mine every day but could if I needed to.

2. Agree with Beefy, should be around £1k i'd have thought - been some threads on here recently about who's most competitive at the moment. I'm with Admiral.

3. Yes - as Beefy says just make sure it's well maintained and you shouldn't have any problems. Half the fun of a car like an exige is being able to give it a bit of stick without risking your license.

4. Probably once she's been in one.

Wasn't sure what car I wanted when I was changing last year, drove loads of different stuff, but once i'd had a go in the exige that was it. If you've not driven one yet, do it - soon!

Hope this helps. :)

Pete.

This is all written from an Elise owning perspective, but generally I think its similar:-

Possible, but in the wet/snow it is really not very fun at all. The good days more than make up for it, but its hard to remember that at some points in the winter. You WILL hanker for a Ford Fiesta in the really shite weather.

Ring up - quotes vary so much!

Yep.

4) Will my girlfriend let me get one? :)

If I was your girlfriend I would, but I'd have to drive it every day and have a lot of favours put my way :)

After sitting in Beefy's Exige at the RR day, I'd have to say that I'd find the Exige more difficult to put up with compared to my Elise with the use I need.

Zero rear visibility, and the harnesses stop you from leaning forward to alter your view, which is pretty essential IMO given the Elise/Exige's huge blind spot.

Or maybe its just me :(

You WILL hanker for a Ford Fiesta in the really shite weather.

No matter how bad the weather gets I never hanker after a Fiesta! :blush: In an ideal world I'd have an RS2 to accompany my Elise for those nasty days :blush:

You find that you get used to the bad visibility from the rear and it becomes second nature to be able to quickly loosen the harness with one hand if you quickly need to.

I also find I position the car differently at junctions sometimes so as to get a better view.

That said it obviously isnt as easy a car to get used to as an Elise :blush:

Pains me to say it, BUT whilst yes you can easily live with one, the S2/VX220 IS a better car for everyday use, its easier to get in, better put together etc...

It does make people think you prefer the company of those the same sex as yourself in the bedroom though.

Archived