litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Cheaper Option Than Exige

Steve J

OK, so getting an Exige some time soon isn't going to happen, so may have to console myself with a less expensive option of modifying the current car.

Looking at a set of new wheels http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=42819 but have some questions first.

What I want to do is keep the current wheels for wet weather and get the new set that will take the AO48 tyres for better handling/grip in the dry.

I assume I don't need to get Nitrons with these? (and no I'm not selling the S2 suspension off before anyone asks :D )

Also uprated toe links required?

Anything else I need to consider before taking the plunge?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve

No you don't HAVE to get Nitrons, or S2LSS but if you can generate so much extra grip with sticky 48's, it's a shame to undermine it with standard springs and roll bar. Folks recommend uprated toe links at the back if going for high grip tyres.

Think again about the upgrade costs. Dobbo & I both sold existing std cars and bought much-modified cars for £2-3K more than std, yet loaded with £7-10K upgrades. You just never get the money back doing the upgrades yourself.

You could make the change from S2ST to Exige S1 for about £3K couldn't you?

Steve, i know you may be upset by the value of your car etc, but the most cost effective/best idea has to surely be an upgrade to a 135R?

More power, better suspension, better rubber...

http://www.pistonheads.com/ads/detail.asp?i=37566&s=12

And a few others on there.

As for not having to upgrade to better dampers, you will be wasting the better rubber as the standard dampers will be a major bottle-neck in the equation! I am looking at doing the same to my car now, am changing brakes soon and so will uprate the rear toelinks at the same time in preparation for stickies - roll on the summer :D

Oz's are far too expensive! I could get nitrons and the SELOC deal wheels for the same price. :D

The 135R doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. Trading-up will cost me £2-3k. I could get very similar results for the same money on mine and still have the bits to return to standard when I sell and the upgraded bit to sell separate.

I reckon I won't be happy until I have an Exige with SC Honda lump.

I hate being poor :D where's my ulitmate garage?

Where's my ulitmate garage?

PSSC's TVR and don't laugh :D

You should pop by and ask about a Tuscan, go on you know you can afford that, or a Tamora, or a Griff or a Cerbera, or a Sagaris.

This was one of the reasons I moved out of the S1.

The bottom has dropped out of the S2 market, impacting on the S1 market, and there is only really the Exige S1 to move into.

S2 are clearly gay, and there is no other new/newer Lotus available to up step.

As you have no affinity to Old School Lotus, you should bin the Viper Stripes lovely as it is , and slot Fiona in a TVR, she deserves a warm car, I'm sure she would like to be warm now and again, even with the roof off.

With your driving skills, I'm also sure you could well adapt to TONS more performance and a lot LESS handling.

YOU have to be in control ALL of the time, NOT just the suspension and tyres.

Trade the Viper, get a cracker of a TVR for the money, would make me very envious.

Sorry for the loud capitals.

Bob

...am changing brakes soon and so will uprate the rear toelinks at the same time in preparation for stickies - roll on the summer :D

Hijack - Scott - you still on the MMCs as per your garage ? If you're changing, let me know before you get rid. I'm not impressed with the EBC discs with green stuff pads. Changing to braided hoses and fluid change. If that doesn't help much I'll think about MMCs as I love the feel.

Chris

End hijack.

MMC's will be going if i upgrade, but i'm looking at something a bit more hardcore than what you have Chris... personally think you'd be mad to go to MMC's with your car - though i guess they are generally fine for road use.

I'd consider changing your pads to SBS or Pagid, they'll probably kill the dics quite quickly but a major step up... you could then move up to better dics afterwards> thats pretty much what i'm looking at. AP ali belled discs (295mm :D) and Pagid RS14's

Chris.

1) MMC's std fitment, beat the pants off EBC's and Grenstuff.

2) Slotting Fiona is Steves business.

3) Scott beat me to answering properl .............

But YES, in a Tivver, it has many options, including

on the, in the, up the, with the, by the, and both.

Sure Sonya would approve :D

C U soon guys.

i dont know what your trying to do here with this exige thought steve.

Personally id flog the elise private and get an S1 exige on the private too. the difference is not a lot at all - the cost of Fiona's fiat maybe :D

If you want to do the SC HONDA route then get a higher mileage exige for even less and run it for 12 months to save up ??

Thanks for all the kind comments :D

We are very lucky enough to be in a situation where we can afford the Elise and an Exige. If Steve wants to, he can have both.

The big issue for me is that both will be sitting in the garage for at least 6 days out of 7. What's the point of that when we've got a mortgage the size of a small country's debt? I couldn't drive the Elise to work every day as I'm either in Canary Wharf or, when in Sheffield, don't have a guaranteed parking space.

As you know, Steve has a company car so wouldn't be getting much use out the Exige on weekdays. The sensible idea is to chop the Elise in for an Exige..however, I'd miss the open top motoring.

Personally, I'm happy with the Elise. I'd rather Steve spent money driving it on track, more training, etc, etc.

Confusing.....

Why not spend a few £k on yours then... rather than move to an Exige?

Nitrons, DVA K13a engine work (160bhp from cams and head work) Sticky tyres....

Gonna make a difference in all areas, plus you keep your car.

Archived