litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What Hifi?

Ladders

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

end of the day you are never going to get a great sound from the speakers. for bass you are going to need a tube or sub.

When I upgraded my headunit tho it made a real difference to the sound. I couldnt believe the paper alpines had it in them.

anything better than standard is good tho. Infinity Kappas always get good ratings if you can get them in the right size - which is the defining problem - depth.

Yup, you'll only get the Kenwoods from ebay... Malbon is right though, your best bet is to fit a small sub behind the seats and then AFAIK JBL do some components that drop straight in - i've then mounted my tweeters up front.

There is a big thread on SELOC about this in the tech forum - i've contributed there, as have others with pics etc.

If you're going to be at the meet on the 27th, have a listen to mine (incl through the iPod) and you'll see what you can achieve for very little outlay. I paid £40 for a small sub, £60 for some rear speakers (then built some spacers to fit them in) and £12 for some tweeters. Sounds very good (relatively speaking) and is loud enough to (just) hear it at about 100mph - it used to be easier to hear, then i got a 135 head :lol:

Thinking of upgradeing my speakers

It was the thought a while ago that the Kenwood Dual Mag's were the best to go for!

Is it the same case now?

Dave

I was given a Pioneer DEH-P80MP head unit as a Christmas present which is pretty good and can play MP3s. The only down side was that the standard speakers could not take the power ( 60W per channel). So three days ago I swapped them out with Kenwood KFC-PSR700 dual mags.

These are 200W Max, two way speakers and appart from being light as feather, they produce fantastic sound.

Be aware that these are 17cm so slightly larger than the originals, however, by using spacers and a little fiddling about, they did eventually fit.

I got them from Vison Car Audio, 46 New John St West, Newtown,B19 3NB (Tel:0121 359 8885)

I hope that helps.

Bis.

Subwoofer - never!

All I want is some decent componant speakers with tweeters to fit on the dash

Had a search for the kenwoods but no luck on ebay.

Yeah, i'd be interested to hear your set-up scott.

Already got a decent head unit - just the pants speakers that let it down

Scott - I've got some pioneer 160's sitting about doing nothing so I tried to fit them with some spacers on. Trouble is the drivers' seatbelt gets caught between the spacer and body panel - any advice much appreciated.

For what it's worth, I've just installed an Infinity sub in the boot, great base response for the size, although it does sound rather loud from the outside.

Archived