litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

What Hifi?

Ladders

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladders, I was thinking exactly the same thing a couple of months ago. I had a pioneer 8600 as a christmas present, when i got round to fitting it I couldn't believe the difference it made over the kenwood 6080 previously installed.

I then went down to In Car Electronics in derby and was enquiring about upgrading my speakers, and the guy said "Are the alpines blown or something wrong with them" Bottom line with the acoustics of the car buying a £500 component set is not going to make the sound much better, hardly any. He said granted the alpines are a little dated but in their day they were top notch.

So i agree with scott mac and would also like to see his install. As throwing loads of cash at this problem does not mean a huge benifit, in this case.

And breathe!!

Ladders, i'd take a look at some MB Quarts can't fault them, been moving mine from car to car,been in my last three. and were still going strong when i removed them, they sitting on my shelf at the mo, waitin till i can afford to get them installed.

Go see Paul at Car Electronics in leicester, Top bloke he'll look after you.

Dave

had some pioneers installed at car electronics and was less than impressed as they were a litte bassier but not £150 bassier. was v. disappointed and to add to that the guy at the shop said his brother had an elise and had had nothing but trouble with it !!! great thing to hear in my first week of ownership !

id get a decent Headunit, some replacement wiring, some half decent speakers that have a good mid/top end, tweets on the dash and a pioneer bass tube/sub enclosure. That lot wont break the bank and will be as good as it gets.

............and the guy said "Are the alpines blown or something wrong with them" Bottom line with the acoustics of the car buying a £500 component set is not going to make the sound much better, hardly any. He said granted the alpines are a little dated but in their day they were top notch.

Sorry but the Alpines supplied in the Liz are complete junk - have you ever took them out and looked at them Darren?

Think I'm going to pop down Car Electronics today, I know your never going to get brilliant sound in the Liz because of the acoustics but at least a decent set of speakers will improve the sound a bit!

Thats what the guy at the shop said. I was a little upset myself as he never even tried to sell me a set of components or a decent set of 2/3 ways. Thought I'd see what other people have done first and then decide.

let us know how you get on.

I'm trying to wire in a new head unit right now and it's causing me problems. For some reason my S1 doesn't have an ISO connector, it has bullet style plugs :clap: I've had to buy an ISO adapter with loose wires on one end which I will connect to the loom connections tomorrow. I'm also not convinced that the speakers I got are going to fit (they look too big to me) I even took one of the originals with me to the shop and told the guy "they mustn't be any bigger than this or they won't fit" and he still got it wrong. I may have to take them back and exchange them for smaller one tomorrow... :( They're 66mm deep, but the magnet is a bit bigger than the old one, so I think there will be problems...

Finally getting round to fitting the Kenwood Dual Mags in the Exige, (They have been on the bench in the garage for the last 14months!).

These are a huge improvement over the Alpines that are in there, and the Alpines in the Exige look better than the ones which were in the Elise (and they are even smaller so the dremel have been busy today :clap:).

The Dual Mags are also about half the weight!

MB Quart are well worth a go, they have quite large magnets though so a bit awkward to fit!

The Kenwood ones are the best, but you have to either get 17cm ones and make a small spacer to adapt, or try and find the even older 16cm ones.

My system sounds very good for how much it cost, no point going OTT (eh, Graham) but you can get fantastic sound if you want to spend the cash.

Re: the seatbelt getting stuck, i never really found a solution if i'm honest, i just moved the belt so it sits in front of the speaker - i guess you could put a blanking plate so there is no gap for the seatbelt to fall down the side of the speaker? Or just buy harnesses like i've done :angry:

For those considering a sub, this is the one i have - i bought mine for about £40 from eBay a while back. Goes far too loud for the Elise, so you need to run it quiet quietly, but it is a huge improvement, and you can even use a high pass filter (some 100Hz capacitors for the cheap solution if your head unit can't do it) so that the rear speakers don't try and do bass. You may find that this is sufficient as the Alpines have a reasonable tweeter

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...5750015837&rd=1

Archived