litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Spa Dash Unit

mambosasa

For those of you who made it to the NEC this weekend, you may have come across SPA dash unit. Its very similar size to the standard stack unit ( marginally smaller, I think), however, one of the key feature is the illuminated tachometer needle that changes colour as the revs build up to programmable shift points.

Has anyone seriously looked into this as an upgrade? Is it worth the 700 quid odd? :blush:

www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/dashsystem.htm

post-590-1105901885.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are probably right. It would have been better if the illuminated pointer came as a separate kit that can be retro fitted into the existing unit. Oh well - I will put the money towards the cams and pulleys upgrade instead :blush:

For £ 700, not worth it in my opinion ;)

I don't think it is bright enough, I also don't think the change up light on the rev counter is bright enough ether.

I find that I tend to concentrate on the road to an extent that you don't see dull lights on the dash.

I am having Aces adjustable Change up/down shift lights fitted... (As fitted to Caterham R500/R400 cars). The are place more in line of vision and can be set very brightly. You won't miss them when they go off.

They are adjustable in what settings you can set for the change up and down rev limits and at rev intervals that matches your driving or speed of gear change.

More to the point they are far cheaper. Omex lights are cheaper still but not as good.

The brightness of the light are also adjustable.

See Links:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/roybooth/willfly/sureshift.html

http://www.aceserve.co.uk/frames/ss2top.html

£700!!!

For that money I'd learn to look at the rev counter or listen to the engine noise! no way is it worth it unless your current stack unit was broken.

For that money I'd fit an Emerald ECU, and wire up the shift light, set the soft and hard rev cutoff, remove my flat spot, allow higher RON fuels, MAP the bugger, dance naked in the street .....

Sorry, did I go off on one again.

Tango recall, Tango recall.

:D

Emerald = £600, Shift lights £50, other gubbins £49. So you'd dance naked in the street for £1 then Bob.

Lets start a collection then lads. £1 for Tango to dance in the buff at Le Mans !

Don't think you'll need to pay Stevey :D

<1st Edit>

Also might as well wire up the Emerald shift light output to the wipers so saving £50

Did it again didn't I ?

<2nd Edit>

She'll deffo divorce me if seen dancing naked in Le Mans, come to think of it ...

Archived