litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Oil Change - What Stuff To Use?

Ladders

Think it's about time for an oil change!

What oil should I use though? I heard that Shell Helix is about the best for Liz's?

Plus what Filter Lotus? Rover? or would a Halfords one be good enough?

Plus should I use an engine flush as well?

Thanks

Dave :unsure:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think in the handbook it recommends using Mobil 1 oil, however IMO oil is oil!

I believe the lotus and Rover filters are identical as they all come from Rover (or whoever manufactures them for Rover) so gain IMO it doesn't matter.

If you do use a flush try and get a Forte one, i have been told by a few mechanics that they think they're the best. And leave it in few a couple of hundred miles to get the best out of it.

Ian just been on SELOC and got a few answers!

As for Oil is Oil - don't really think you'd want some 2quid mineral oil that will break down as soon as it gets hot would you! :unsure:

Agree about filters though!

Fair enough my Oil is Oil quote was perhaps a little flippant, but i don't think any of us are going to put any cheap oil in. (in my defence i know that you aren't a plonker and wouldn't go and buy some crap on my suggestion that all oils are the same)

What i should have said is that i, and people i've spoken to about it, can't tell any difference between your normal branded oils within the same catagory, ie Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic and Shell Helix Fully Synthetic, or semis, or minerals.

On a similar note, did everyone hear about the new beetle owner who had heard that you can run your car on cooking oil. So he tried it and replaced his engine oil!!!! Then started asking why his car was smoking so much!!!! In this case Oil is not Oil!!!!

I think you shouls get 15W 50 synthetic oil. Apparently ASDA do it cheap. Filters are the same, but make sure you replace the sump plug seal.

Don't need to flush, unless engine is high mileage.

I had Magnatex in it until it was changed for some Yank stuff at Horizon.

I think Sinclares uses Magnatex as standard?

Any good synthetic is fine.

Is that better then Dave :unsure:

(in my defence i know that you aren't a plonker and wouldn't go and buy some crap on my suggestion that all oils are the same)

I'll take that as a compliment then! :pile:

No, I'll agree with you again then Ian, although you do have to be a bit carefull about the weights of oils and what tempretures you will be using them in - what temp your engine will reach.

Steve, :unsure:

The "Yank stuff" might have been Carlube?

Made by Tetrosyl (Carplan, T-cut, Wonderwheels etc). Apparently it was developed in association with LotusSport and original fill on Morgan & TVR. You can buy if it from Motorworld among other places.

I know Big W (yes really) were doing Carlube triple R for a good price quite recently. As Graham said its got the lotus sport logo on it amongst others.

ASDA also went through a phase of selling Mobil 1 fairly cheap although don't know if they still have any.

The stuff Horizon used in mine was made by 76 lubricants IIRC.

Archived