litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Oil Change - What Stuff To Use?

Ladders

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry all, aluminium - not magnetic, bearing alloys - not magnetic, filter does not know the differance betweem magnetic and non magnetic crap, so just need a good filter.

I knew 5 years training to be a metallurgist all those years ago would come in useful one day.

Peter

Sorry all, clearly I'm talking bollocks so I deleted all my posts in this thread. :lol:

ADVERT FROM ELISEPARTS.COM

Oil Filter £ 8.17inc

A straight swap for the OE filter used on your car but with one BIG difference.

Our filters not only offer the highest of filtering capabilities they also have an added bonus,a MAGNET which is built into the unit attracts unwanted ferrous particles floating around most car engines that can cause untold damage to your main bearings, crankshaft and oil pump gears. All this and possibly a cheaper price than most other "cheap and nasty" filters offered at the local car accessory store.

FITS ALL ELISE S1, S2, 340R and EXIGE.

Carry on Peter - more info on your experiences. :unsure:

Ordered the filter - came the next day from Eliseparts, how quick!

Got some Triple R 0/50w, hope thats the right weight? They were recommending 5/40w on SELOC for Mobil 1, but thought it would be ok.

Just need a day with some light to do it all now!

• 3 months later...
Ordered the filter - came the next day from Eliseparts, how quick!

Got some Triple R 0/50w, hope thats the right weight?  They were recommending 5/40w on SELOC for Mobil 1, but thought it would be ok.

Just need a day with some light to do it all now!

Dave bit of dredging up an old post, but where did you get the Triple R 0/50 in the end.

The Tivver needs the same for oil changes and topy uppies.

Bob

Done a bit more research on oil since this old thread.

For road use in a standard Elise engine, use 5W/40 such as Mobil1. For lots of trackwork or highly tuned and all VHPD's, use Mobil1 Motorsport 15W/50.

There are lots of supposedly synthetic oils which aren't as synthetic as others. Carlube, as endorsed by Lotus Sport is one such "hydrocracked" synthetic rather than a PAO chemical ester synthetic such as Mobil1. It's all about how they behave at high temperatures, apparently.

For the TVR, use the Mobil1 Motorsport 15W/50.

For a wealth of oily info, try this Pistonheads thread.

Archived