litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

1st Daft Question.

Martin R

I picked up my first Lotus on Saturday, an S1 111s. What can i say but ;) It has however led to my first daft question. At low speed there is a light tapping when going over drain covers, potholes etc. This appears to be coming from the front suspention. It all but disapears at higher speeds :drive: I think i read some where this could be coming from a dryly assembled front roll bar. Is this true ? Your comments would be much appreciated. Ta in advance.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a regular, tapping noise coming from my front end that disappeared when the wheels were turned, did my head in for months trying figure out what it was.

Then I took the car to Horizon :drive: to get the sqeaking anti-roll bar sorted, when i picked the car up from Mike ;) he said to me that what he had done would also sort out the tapping noise, which i had actually forgotten to mention to him.

So there is a good chance, if i have interpreted your description of the noise correctly, that is what it is.

It does sound like the suspension to me. Mine was the same - low speed sound like billiard balls knocking together. Sound familiar???

The only reason that its only at low speeds is that there are louder noises to hear when going faster. There is nothing wrong with them and if you can put up with the noise, they will be fine. Its probably a good idea to check out the above things first though.

There is no real fix apart from new suspension. I put some second hand S2 suspension on which was reasonable and a whole lot better than the original S1 stuff - not just removing the noise.

Hope this helps.

Steve B)

Archived