litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Lotus Esprit Caveats

Arfurdaly

Hi

I've had an S1 Elise for about 5 years now and it's been a blast (a somewhat expensive blast - but fun all the same - smiles per mile if you will). However - ever since the Spy Who Loved Me and Turbo Esprit on the Spectrum - I've always wanted an Esprit (even after Pretty Woman)

And now I've now found a cracking V8 Esprit in the right colour (blue) with the right interior (beige) with ok mileage (61k) and year (99 T) and quite local and at a decent price (16990).

Now the question is - do I private sell the S1 (W plate with 81k) and buy the Esprit or do I go for another more potent Elise (Hillmoren have an 06 111R for 5 pounds short of 20k with 11k on the clock)

Any V8 Esprit owners out there who want to share experiences/horror stories ? What should I be asking the dealer, what do I need to know?

My head says that a V8 Esprit will probably keep it's value over the next few years - although I am worried that I may have to have the engine rebuilt every X thousand miles and servicing will be a nightmare - any help would be appreciated

Arf

post-595-1237330710.jpeg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try asking on Lotus Esprit World (LEW) as they'll have lots of tips on checking it's a good one.

The V8s are the problem ones though, I think even a cambelt change is an engine out job.

Was it not commented often also that the V8's had a weak gearbox and the hydraulic clutch was a bitch????

All Esprits have weak gearboxes whether they were built by Citreon or Renault.......

From personal experience one thing is for sure, an Esprit of any type will cost a shed load more cash to run than an Elise.

Get one, you you only live once. :clap:

Lol, just seen this.

I sold my Azure blue 99 111s S1 and picked up an Azure blue 98 GT3 with similar mileage.

I ALWAYS wanted an Esprit, so in principle do not regret fulfilling my childhood dream (since I toured the factory aged 5) however from my experience there are a few pros and cons to consider!

I am especially worried by your comment an Esprit will hold its value!

This is not an investment, if you think of it as a VERY expensive toy, that is a better mind set to be in!

Even if you did only lose say £4000 on it after a year (which is quite likely) you have to bear in mind the running costs for that year. I would suggest having between £2500 and £4000 set aside per year, just in case.

I bought a very sound, well maintained car, (from a main dealer, and spoke to the previous owner at length) but it still cost me a lot of money. I am still in contact with the new owner, and know about all the work he has done too the car over the last 18 months, fortunatlely he can wield his own tools.

Also do not expect the driving experience to be similar to the Elise, it is still Lotus, with all the good things that go with this, but quite different.

Commuter traffic is pretty dire, needs a lot of revs to pull away smoothly, which one quickly gets ust to, but quite noisy. (this is a good and bad thing) thinking about this, V8 might be much better due to torque excess....

Pros -

Awesome buzz!

Awesomely fast, although first and second gear are weak, so do not abuse. As a capable GT, imo it doesn't come alive until illegal speeds are reached (and they are reached very quickly). Brakes, VERY POOR, quite a shock after an Elise.

I could go on for hours about this, its definatley a heart purchase, despite what I have said, I would buy another.

However I would never advise anyone to get one!

I would budget to lose 10 grand in a year, buy it and sell on 12 months later, have the buzz, enjoy every minute, and if you lose less than this, be happy!

Of course all the above info is based upon a 4 cylinder car, everything I heard about the V8 was double....

LEW is excellent, as are the Espirt owners in general, although I do think some of them are in denial about costs, so go in eyes wide open, the chances of getting a car that doesn't need work immeadiately or very soon are unlikley.

Re that red GT3, price is about right, but I'm sure he'd take between £500 and a £1000 less. (Esprit buyers are few and far between)

My 99 GT3 went for £14k (paid £19.5k at dealer)

My friends 98 GT3 similar mileage to that red one sold last year at £14k. (But was absolutely MINT)

The biggest difference in GT3's happens on the 1999 and newer cars, making them more desirable than earlier models.

Mine needed the coolant pipes replacing soon, which run from the front radiator to the back of the car underneath, my dealer quoted it as a £2000 job. I would assume all cars of a similar age will need this doing at some point, if not already done. (sorry to be the voice of gloom, having a bad day at work, eating chocolate and visiting Mloc to try and perk up)

hee hee!

I think a lot of people are in denial and never actually work out the true cost (good for them if it keeps them happy with their cars) I just couldn't bear the financial strain of running the Espirt, and the worry about it breaking sapped at my enjoyment!

The Caterham is FANTASTIC, whilst I still loiter around here and hanker after an Exige S for the road, I know it would be very hard to give up the 7. When I test drove the 2-11, which is an awesome car, it still didn't give me the buzz the 7 does.

Do you get out in yours much these days?

Arf,

This Website is a must for anyone considering ownership.

http://www.lotusespritworld.co.uk/

I've had the Esprit itch ever since the Blue Silver & Red Essex Turbos and still have, especially since I was treated to a 'blast' in a Turbo Esprit SE - the fastest car I have been in or ever likely to be in. Like several of our Clubmates though, I would err or the side of the S4S rather than a V8 - they're quicker 0-60 and a hell of a lot cheaper to maintain. One of the Classic Cars mags rated it as the Ultimate Esprit. The GT3 is supposed to be the best model to drive, but has a slightly smaller 2L engine so is slightly slower to 60.

One of the Lotus Main Dealers Barry Ely is selling his personal S4S and its in the colours you like - its advertised in Lotus News as poa (what a waste of time that is!) so maybe worth a call.

Frighteningly when I had chat with LEW members they told me to budget for £3k a year maintenance!

Good luck, regards, Andrew

Archived