litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Cleaning The Hurricane Filter

Steve J

Did a bit of a cleaning session yesterday (even had the wheels off!).

Opened up the Hurricane and the filter was a bit dirty. Just cleaned it with a stiff brush. So just checking that I'm not missing anything by not getting the Eliseparts cleaning kit.

2 bottles of dubious content for £30 vs 1 old paint brush for nought.

Thoughts?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question Steve - one you saved me having to ask!

I bought my Hurricane 2nd hand, and came without documentation. When supplied new, were there any aftercare instructions - for instance, how OFTEN should the filter be cleaned with this Green kit?

Seen the website - thanks BC. Any ideas how much is used of fluid & oil at each clean? More than one session - good, 10 years supply - excessive!

Graeme

The bottle has exact instructions on use but I think I get a few cleans out of it, usually do it myself every time the car is serviced. The oil will last for ages as you dont use much of it compared to the cleaner.

Could check in the garage if you want exact instructions but its lots of rinsing and a paint brush to clean it basically.

Graeme - Mine was a new purchase and only came with photocopies of the installation instructions.

Mark - Can you post up the fluid/oil contents on the bottles? ( e.g. Tolluene, 1.1.1 Trihydrochloroflurobollocks) so I can check whether it's "special" or just a mild degreaseant and WD40. Cheers

Hell, this is bad news. Not into having to do things myself. What happens if you do nothing? More to the point, Steve, in the name of being a decent bloke, mind sorting mine out too?

According to the instructions on mine, cleaning too often is a bad thing as the build up actually helps with filtering.

Knowing where the limit is, though....

I cleaned mine after 7k miles but there was no noticeable difference afterwards. There was quite a build up of congealed grime on it.

Who knows ?

Chris

Yeah, I guess I was trying to say that with normal road driving, you can get at least 7k miles between cleans with no noticeable loss in performance.

Oh, and I did re-oil it, don't worry ;-)

I need to clean a bit?

HELP!

I didn't even know I had a bit that needed cleaning?!?!

Don't the garage do it?

I suppose you'll be saying I have to wash the car as well?

Having never cleaned anything inside under the bodyshell, should I think about doing something?

I thought it was rocket science :baby:

Fuel + clean supply of oxygen = Good Rocket

Fuel + dirty supply of oxygen = Bad Rocket

:groupwave:

Looks like I'll be taking another trip to Halfords as no-one has posted the secret formula :bag:

Archived